2019 Trout Spey Shootout

Rob Allen

The further I go into the "trout spey" the more I'm inclined to say its not for the the Sex Dungeon enthusiast...which is damn disappointing.

There is no way around the fact that it takes mass in the line to move the mass of the fly.

You want to throw heavy flies you need a heavy line. A sex dungeon has about the same weight as a normal tarpon fly which is cast with a 10 wt line... it stands to reason you need a switch line about equivalent to a 10 wt tarpon line give or take.
That puts you in about the same range as your winter steelhead rods..

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
I haven’t done trout spey really but my trout streamers are mostly bigger than my steelhead flies. Like way bigger. Maybe that’s it?

I also think spey casting is so personal any kind of review like this is worthless at best.
very common to be casting 3-5" bugs on short or even long tips. bulky heads and heavy eyes too. scandi on trout spey is supper fun in the summer fishing soft hackles. my trout spey rod has a 420 gran skagit compact

Rob Allen

very common to be casting 3-5" bugs on short or even long tips. bulky heads and heavy eyes too. scandi on trout spey is supper fun in the summer fishing soft hackles. my trout spey rod has a 420 gran skagit compact

420gr that's a fairly stout " trout spey"

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Personally, I just use my SH with my own custom cut short intermediate Skagit plus 8' 80gr tips. But that's because I like throwing junk and I like stripping over swinging. I think if I were more into the swing only mindset bombing casts out with big streamers, I'd be all about the setup that Dustin rolls with. Man, a 5 or 6 wt switch or spey would be money for that type of thing. You fish the size rod that your flies dictate, not the fish.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
WFF Supporter
You fish the size rod that your flies dictate, not the fish.
Man... You have no idea how many times I have to try to explain this to people. At my job, we have tons of people call in and ask "what size rod should I get for catching 20" rainbows?" - They rarely if ever accept my answer that the fly size is more important than the size of the fish.

I own the 11foot Sage One 3 weight and it is an awesome rod. Made decision based on Sandy 2019 Spey Clave. They got the scandi/skagit thing wrong maybe. You almost always fish a heavier skagit line, 270 grains work and 240grains Scandi. Thoughts? I am not convinced this size rod works well with bigger flies, sculpins with lead heads.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock