Trip Report Canoeing Boundary Waters Canoe Area (no fish :(..... )

msteudel

Mark Steudel
This summer we took a canoe trip with our family to the Boundary Waters Canoe area in Minnesota. This was our first time paddling out there. We went in mid August. Now I brought spinning gear and a fly rod but I was wholey unprepared for the toothy critters. Any time I caught a big fish my line was quickly cut, when I did finally start using wire leaders, I never caught anything. I ended up catching 1 small smallmouth and a couple of panfish on the fly, but the area was pretty fantastic and we look forward to going back and hopefully when the fish are a little less dour and I have the right gear.

ribka

I fished and canoed that area a lot when I grew up not far from there.

Pike as I remember were sometimes leader shy and I used switch to a 50 lb mono and fluoro

msteudel

Mark Steudel
I fished and canoed that area a lot when I grew up not far from there.

Pike as I remember were sometimes leader shy and I used switch to a 50 lb mono and fluoro
I had a few fun takes from pike, like pike flying out of the water and then turning around to chase fly but I never landed any. I can't wait to go back at a little better time for some topwater action.

thesankers

August is the toughest time for fishing the boundary Waters. In my experience early to mid June is far and away the best time for fast smallmouth and walleye fishing. Also the peak for biting insects. Mid September is also good, especially for northerns and the bugs are gone.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
August is the toughest time for fishing the boundary Waters. In my experience early to mid June is far and away the best time for fast smallmouth and walleye fishing. Also the peak for biting insects. Mid September is also good, especially for northerns and the bugs are gone.
Thanks! Yeah I kinda knew it was going to be tough going in, but I didn't realize that tough. I took gear with me too, and didn't get much love. Oh well.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
No walleye? Not one? Wow......
I have no idea, I did actually do a bit of fishing, jigging soft plastics etc. I tried off points and in between islands, etc. But the few times I got a big bight, it cut right through my line, when I had a bite wire on, I never got a bite. <shrug> But I'm willing to go back and try again!

Ron McNeal

Life's good!
I have no idea, I did actually do a bit of fishing, jigging soft plastics etc. I tried off points and in between islands, etc. But the few times I got a big bight, it cut right through my line, when I had a bite wire on, I never got a bite. <shrug> But I'm willing to go back and try again!
Well, they'll be there if you go back. Best part of walleye fishing is the eating......

And, by the way, that's a really, really nice video. You're getting pretty darn good at the fishing-trip-video thing. Your kids are going to have wonderful memories. So, thanks.

Young Engh

Perfect place for a family vacation and trip. Swimming, campfires, paddling. Lake one to lake one is a classic route! You should send your girls to YMCA Camp Widjiwagan for canoe trips in Ely!

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Well, they'll be there if you go back. Best part of walleye fishing is the eating......

And, by the way, that's a really, really nice video. You're getting pretty darn good at the fishing-trip-video thing. Your kids are going to have wonderful memories. So, thanks.
Thank you for watching! It's a lot of fun for me to do, hopefully I'm get better and better. Would like to try and do a film and get it into the film festivals at some point. I'm still brainstorming ideas.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Perfect place for a family vacation and trip. Swimming, campfires, paddling. Lake one to lake one is a classic route! You should send your girls to YMCA Camp Widjiwagan for canoe trips in Ely!
I should send myself! Haha that sounds cool though I'll check it out.

gt

when i was in HS in the 50s a good friend invited me to go along with his family to that area for a summer vacation. it was wide open at that point, not the designation and restrictions of today. plenty of walleye were caught and eaten. chased by a moose while in a canoe and by mistake paddled into Canada, but no issues back then. beautiful country and really muddy portages and lots of biting black flies.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
when i was in HS in the 50s a good friend invited me to go along with his family to that area for a summer vacation. it was wide open at that point, not the designation and restrictions of today. plenty of walleye were caught and eaten. chased by a moose while in a canoe and by mistake paddled into Canada, but no issues back then. beautiful country and really muddy portages and lots of biting black flies.
wow it must’ve been so much more of wilderness back then. We cleaned out so much monofilament and broken of lures, was kinda sad. But overall campsites were very clean.

Latest posts