SFR Not Thrilled To Upgrade To Windows 10

GAT

Dumbfounded
This is Sorta Flyfishing Related because we all use some manner of Internet tech to get here.

All you guys with Macs can move along. I've been using Windows 7 for a long long time and have some favorite programs that I use for my cartoons that Windows 10 will not run. I tried four times to upgrade to Windows 10 when it was offered for free and each time it caused another problem with my OS... so I kept reverting back and finally gave up.

It appears that I now have no choice. It seems like extortion to require owners to purchase a new operating system but that's how things work in the tech world. I suppose I could take a chance and not upgrade but Microsoft has done a good job of putting the fear of god in me that the world will end if I don't pay for the upgrade.

So.... if someday soon you know longer hear from me, you'll know that I tried to upgrade again and failed to a point that my machine is dead.

I like working with computers but not when they become a hassle.

I assume some of you have upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 with no problems.... I hope that will be the case with me but I'm not optimistic.

(yes, this is just a bitch post but I haven't been fishing in weeks so I'm a bit testy)

Last edited:

Dan Page

My very old laptop with 7 crashed a few months ago and I was forced to upgrade and Windows 10 was on this new Dell. After struggling awhile I am liking it. Also liking this new laptop. I did not know what I was missing. Us old dogs can still learn new tricks. ;) Hang in there ---you have no choice on this one!

Rock Creek Fan

I upgraded 4 laptops in my household. Three from Windows7 and One from Windows8. All went flawlessly except mine. I had to go to a PC repair place to get mine working. Couple of hundred bucks later mine worked.

If you are using old hardware, probably the case if you are on Windows7, it might be better to get new hardware since Windows 10 has different requirements as well as most software too... As @Evan Burck indicated for the issue of incompatible software you identified, keep the old hardware to continue to using the old software until you can upgrade it also...

There is now good software that transfers files and applications from one machine to another --> LapLink. I get to do that for the new laptops bought for this Christmas for my college age kids...

Edited to add: I helped my MIL (in her 80's) to migrate from Windows95 to Windows10. She had VERY outdated hardware and software. Ever try to move all data (pics and files) from an old machine with only floppy disks to a new machine with only CD-ROM? She luvs the new version of Windows..

Last edited:

Meeshka

Had windows 10. Hated it. Downgraded back to Windows 7 for a price. If win 7 wont work will upgrade to a Mac desktop and laptop

Doug

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
It appears that I now have no choice. It seems like extortion to require owners to purchase a new operating system but that's how things work in the tech world. I suppose I could take a chance and not upgrade but Microsoft has done a good job of putting the fear of god in me that the world will end if I don't pay for the upgrade.
Picture any big and small hospital system facing the same issue.... thousands of computers running thousands of different critical platforms...

No one ever talks about tech companies planned obsolescence driving health costs....

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
In my uneducated opinion as long as your internet surfing is very limited you can avoid upgrading and be OK.

Put another way, you don't need "10" unless you're looking at "10's" online ;)

KerryS

Ignored Member
WFF Supporter
Picture any big and small hospital system facing the same issue.... thousands of computers running thousands of different critical platforms...

No one ever talks about tech companies planned obsolescence driving health costs....
During my working life as a network manager and IT manager I have been involved with upgrading and installing 4 company wide accounting/resource management applications in 3 different organizations. The amount of planning and testing these applications before roll out costs more money than the applications themselves. The level of disruption to the organization can not be measured. The largest of these companies had approximately 1000 users. I would not want to be one of the leads on a major systems upgrade in a medical setting as large as the one you are talking about @wadin' boot The level of stress in the teams I did work with was off the charts already without the addition of possible life and death scenarios. I watch with considerable interest as one of the hospitals I get treatment at migrated to Epic Systems for their management software. The level of stress in the doctors and nurses working in the cancer treatment center was high. I wondered what it might be like in other more critical areas of the hospital.

Dan Page

Not just hospitals. Several years ago my Fort Lewis Range Pass renewal application was delayed many, many days because of upgrades to computer systems. I'd guess high level security to be very costly to upgrade.

GAT

Dumbfounded
I work in an auto biz. I wonder if everyone would just roll over and by a new vehicle it if the companies started telling owners that once their vehicle is 5 years old they will no longer be able to buy parts for it and there's a greater chance of failure because there won't be any updates to the onboard computers ?

Nifty way to sell new product. It isn't good enough to just offer a new and "better" product but make sure the previous model is subject to failure.

I probably should have gone with a Mac a long time ago.

I figure my machine drivers and hardware is old enough that it probably won't upgrade correctly (because it didn't when Windows 10 was free) so I'll probably need to buy a new machine with Windows 10 so I'll still lose those older programs that I like a lot in any case.

You Mac guys are right.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I work in an auto biz. I wonder if everyone would just roll over and by a new vehicle it if the companies started telling owners that once their vehicle is 5 years old they will no longer be able to buy parts for it and there's a greater chance of failure because there won't be any updates to the onboard computers ?

Nifty way to sell new product. It isn't good enough to just offer a new and "better" product but make sure the previous model is subject to failure.

I figure my machine drivers and hardware is old enough that it probably won't upgrade correctly (because it didn't when Windows 10 was free) so I'll probably need to buy a new machine with Windows 10 so I'll still lose those older programs that I like a lot in any case.

You Mac guys are right.
I would say the analogy doesn't really work.

If every 5yrs, cars got updated in such a way that roadways/traffic/commerce wouldn't work at all if the old models were still on the road, it'd be closer to what we're dealing with here. When you're dealing with a world wide web and everything being connected, there has to be some level of protocol standard for the whole thing to work and keep updating/progressing.

Also: Apple/Mac may be one of the worst offenders of planned obsolescence, so not sure why they're being heralded here as the answer.

smc

WFF Supporter

You Mac guys are right.
The most recent Mac OS (Catalina) upgrade makes some of the older programs that I use obsolete. I've been aware, and preparing, for a while now. Keeping your computer up-to-date is as important as keeping your vehicle maintained - change the oil, make sure your tires are good, get a tune-up. Your data life may well depend on it.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
A few years ago when the free update to win 10 from win 7 came out, win 10 scared the shit out of me. About 3 months ago my Toshiba's(win 7) battery died so I ordered a new battery charger. Well they sent me the wrong model and I had to jump through about 3 hoops to get the right one. I said to hell with this shit and went out and bought a computer with win 10 in it.This is not scaring me at all. It's easy as pie to run. I just loaded in all the same systems I had on my win 7 computer. What scared me was the new system. My change over is complete. And I ain't no goddamn whiz at computers.

In paid over 600 bucks for my Toshiba. I paid 250 bucks for my current computer. It is 10 times faster and 350 bucks cheaper.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
A few years ago when the free update to win 10 from win 7 came out, win 10 scared the shit out of me. About 3 months ago my Toshiba's(win 7) battery died so I ordered a new battery charger. Well they sent me the wrong model and I had to jump through about 3 hoops to get the right one. I said to hell with this shit and went out and bought a computer with win 10 in it.This is not scaring me at all. It's easy as pie to run. I just loaded in all the same systems I had on my win 7 computer. What scared me was the new system. My change over is complete. And I ain't no goddamn whiz at computers.

In paid over 600 bucks for my Toshiba. I paid 250 bucks for my current computer. It is 10 times faster and 350 bucks cheaper.
100% - operating systems are getting simpler and easier.

Those of us geeks who want to make things hard for like... no reason, have plenty of options to do that (Linux is quite a rabbit hole) but for my productivity work, it's all done on Windows 10.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info