SFR Not Thrilled To Upgrade To Windows 10

GAT

Dumbfounded
I tried to load Windows 10 four times when it was free so it isn't as if I don't want an improved system. I just hate to lose some of my old Photoshop programs that I use for my 'toons.

One way or the other, I'll end up with some type of puter that runs Windows 10 -- it just may not be the one I use now.

I will use the Classic Shell so it looks and runs similar to Windows 7... at least until I get a chance to mess around with the system. I use the home computer for the 'toons when I'm not working at my full time job so I try to avoid down time for the puter as much as I can.

I'm a fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and Windows 7 really wasn't broken for me but I was willing to try to upload Windows 10 just the same and it fought me. But I'll adapt.

In six months I'll be fine :D

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
I work in an auto biz. I wonder if everyone would just roll over and by a new vehicle it if the companies started telling owners that once their vehicle is 5 years old they will no longer be able to buy parts for it and there's a greater chance of failure because there won't be any updates to the onboard computers ?
Right.... a friend has a FORD car that works perfectly fine but for one small repair part, EXCEPT Ford has decided that they no longer support the vehicle. I think it is a software issue. The vehicle is about 10 years old.

My garage door opener will NOT work with my last two cars. I am suppose to "update" the garage door opener!!!

Astronomy is my hobby. Upgrading to Windows 10 means replacing and buying about 5,000 dollars in new telescope mounts and camera's. Think fly fishing is an expensive hobby?? I am running around buying every Windows 7 computer I can find!!!

I think somebody can make a fortune, buying Windows 7 from MicroSoft and keep the operating system functional!! I suspect in a few years...Linus will become the operating system standard for astronomy systems just based on cost.

As mentioned by others, the costs of upgrading operating systems........are ASTRONOMICAL.

KerryS

Ignored Member
WFF Supporter
Back in the late eighties, early nineties Microsoft learned the best way to make money was through upgrades. Just as the auto industry rolls out its new models every year so does the software companies do with their products. The big main difference is cars run on publicly owned roads that rarely change while software runs on machines built by different companies and whose technology increases faster than the software can be improved. The hardware companies also knew that upgrading their hardware drove sales. Not only does old software not function with new operating systems but those old applications won’t run on the newer hardware. There has been a couple of older applications that were used by companies I worked for where we had to write front end applications to configure the hardware in a manner that would allow the applications to run. This included writing apps that would alter things like the clock speeds of processors then remove the changes when the older application was ended. Pain in the ass. I have a love/hate relationship with computers, software and the companies that make them. The constant upgrading of systems drove me crazy trying to keep on top of the latest and greatest but this also kept employed in jobs that paid very good money.

I’m retired now. I still own several computers all running the latest software. My main computer system is used primarily for image processing, some word processing and I run a few simple spreadsheets. The software on it is on a subscription bases. I pay a monthly fee to have it on my system. The stuff is upgraded automatically. I’m told by the publisher an upgrade is available, I say ok and it’s done. The other system I use for almost everything else is an iPad. It is my portal to the internet and as such things like email, web surfing, research etc. is done on the iPad. Even most of my banking, investments, medical records, anything that requires internet access is done on the iPad. If I’m someplace where the internet connection is a wireless system I don’t control and I need to access my bank or some other site that contains personal information I use a secure vpn application on the iPad or just wait until I can use a trusted connection like at home.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
My son=in-law is a techie. I just call him and he upgrades everything. I just got a newer computer a couple of months ago and he transferred all of my stuff to it. It's so much better than the last one it's not even funny. It does take a bit to get used to but by now, I'm getting pretty good at navigating the thing. I also have all of my files on a thumb drive in case something doesn't go right..

GAT

Dumbfounded
I have many external hard drives for storing my artwork, photos and cartoons... some of the hard drives are back up for others. (I had an external hard drive take a dive once and lost images so have learned to use more than one hard drive for duplicate storage)

But I don't know if my Windows 7 crashes if a new machine with Windows 10 could open the hard drives with my artwork. ... I assume it could but then again...:confused:

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
Forget about Windows Whatever or Apple OS. Go to a Linux-based OS. Mine uses 10% of what the latest Windows version uses and maybe 15% of the latest Apple OS. You can get free Open Source (OS) versions of Word, Excel, etc, and use programs that are far more secure than the big guys, if only for the fact that those malign hackers don't bother with the Linux-based operating systems because there are not enough to be worth while. I find it no more difficult to navigate than the big guys.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Forget about Windows Whatever or Apple OS. Go to a Linux-based OS. Mine uses 10% of what the latest Windows version uses and maybe 15% of the latest Apple OS. You can get free Open Source (OS) versions of Word, Excel, etc, and use programs that are far more secure than the big guys, if only for the fact that those malign hackers don't bother with the Linux-based operating systems because there are not enough to be worth while. I find it no more difficult to navigate than the big guys.
I'm a Linux fan, but for most casual computer users, it takes someone a bit more savvy to set it up for them. But if I were to set up a new computer for someone not at all tech savvy today, I'd set up a Linux Mint distro on a PC, put the icons they need on the desktop, and leave it at that. Some of the distros are extremely intuitive in how they're set up, but it takes a certain level of savvy to get them up and running.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
I think somebody can make a fortune, buying Windows 7 from MicroSoft and keep the operating system functional!! I suspect in a few years...Linus will become the operating system standard for astronomy systems just based on cost.
If we are talkinig astronomy and salvage....Star wars movies have this trope where they have weird creatures/slaves scavenging junk for mechanical parts on desert planets. It would be much more believable if they were the last outposts of say workable Windows 7 platforms, Windows XP machines, Zunes, Ipods, Palm pilots, ...i.e. where an aging fleet of outdated stuff is maintained by multigenerational Technical Class outcasts/slaves from which an inevitable and wildly underestimated and remarkably humorless Chosen One arises to eventually face off with some male goon with daddy issues and hereditary risk of lung fibrosis and or penchants for fetish gear

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
But I don't know if my Windows 7 crashes if a new machine with Windows 10 could open the hard drives with my artwork. ... I assume it could but then again...
If they are common files like jpg, pdf, zip, and stuff like that you shoud have no problem.
Unless your Win7 machine was on the bleeding edge of technology at the time it probably won't have enough horse power to run Win10 efficiently so it will seem clunky and buggy when you try to use it. Win10 has been out long enough that most programs out there have updated themselves to run on it, so check and see if your toon program has a win10 version.

The last laptop I got was a refurbished Dell last year.

Some good bargains there and for basic stuff it's nearly the equal of my desk top that I built in...erm I don't know, it's been awhile. Like back when the i7 cores first appeared. The price on the i5s drop so I did a build.I know that most of this is greek to you but the short version is get a more robust machine.

I have built my own desk tops for the last twenty years and only upgrade when I can double the capabilities of what I'm using, (talking processor speed) for a reasonable price. I look at what the price is for the bleeding edge, latest, greatest, processor and then step down one or two steps if it still allows me to double what I've got. When ever I do this the difference is instantly noticeable. Everything just snaps open and runs faster.

I use Apache Open Office for Word processing and spread sheets. Looks and acts just like the Microsoft stuff. So much so that your old ________ For Dummies manuals will work for it. Plus, it's free!

GAT

Dumbfounded
Well, okay.... with a hell of a lot of research and trepidation, I followed the pre-install actions and finally bought a Windows 10 upgrade flash drive and installed the operating system. The first thing I did was add the Classic Shell so the OS would at least look like Windows 7. And it worked.

So far, so good... knock on wood. I only lost a very old Photoshop program that I figured wouldn't run with W10 anyway. It had some very cool special effects that my newer Photoshop Elements programs don't have but I can live without them. I also had two external CD/DVD burners that wouldn't function but that's also no big deal... I have two portable burners that do work along with the burner in the tower.

The problems I had with Windows 10 back when I tried installing it when it was free do no exist. Over the years, they did repair the original bugs. So for now, I'm a happy camper. Basically, I've ended up with Windows 7 that does run faster so that is a good thing.

All the hassles I feared have not, so far, appeared.

I'm now up to date.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
My old Toshiba battery charger died so I bought a new charger but the goddamn thing didn't work. So I went out and got me a new laptop. My Toshiba had win 7 in it and the computer was on the slow side. My new one is a HP, and is faster than hell. I get things done in an instant, where the old one would seem to take all day. I'm still computer dumb. But this new one is forgiving for me.

I still have my old computer but it's got a dead battery. I wish I knew how to get my pictures off of it.

dld

This is just too much! For the heck of it I tried installing my ancient old Photoshop program with the nifty special effects and it loaded and it works! Praise be the great computer gods.
I've been pretty happy with the windows backwards-compatibility.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info