SFR Not Thrilled To Upgrade To Windows 10

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
Me too.
I use an older rod design program that uses old versions of Excel and Access. Win10 recognizes and runs them compatibly right out of the gate. No obscure workarounds needed.

jwg

Apple/Mac can take their 'Proprietary Everything' and shove it. I've successfully avoided owning thus far, and I have no intention of ever owning anything they make.
Harsh, dude.
Also it inaccurate.

More of the core macOS is built on open source and standards than that Microsoft proprietary operating system stuff.

And if you buy apple hardware you can in MacOS, windows, and Linux on it.

J

dld

Harsh, dude.
Also it inaccurate.

More of the core macOS is built on open source and standards than that Microsoft proprietary operating system stuff.

And if you buy apple hardware you can in MacOS, windows, and Linux on it.

J
Your argument pretty much proves my point. You can use other stuff on a Mac, but you can't use macOS on anything else. If you think that isn't the definition of 'proprietary', I can't help you.

Rock Creek Fan

My old Toshiba battery charger died so I bought a new charger but the goddamn thing didn't work. So I went out and got me a new laptop. My Toshiba had win 7 in it and the computer was on the slow side. My new one is a HP, and is faster than hell. I get things done in an instant, where the old one would seem to take all day. I'm still computer dumb. But this new one is forgiving for me.

I still have my old computer but it's got a dead battery. I wish I knew how to get my pictures off of it.
Jim - It sounds like your battery died ---> not the charger. Batteries are ridiculously expensive. I can run my Toshiba laptop without the battery even in it. I would try removing the old battery, plugging in the power source and see if the old laptop will work. Some batteries just pop out where others are a bear to remove. Then copy off the pics to your CD or DVD player or flash drive. Worst case is take your laptop in to a repair place and they can get it done for you...

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon
Well, okay.... with a hell of a lot of research and trepidation, I followed the pre-install actions and finally bought a Windows 10 upgrade flash drive and installed the operating system. The first thing I did was add the Classic Shell so the OS would at least look like Windows 7. And it worked.

So far, so good... knock on wood. I only lost a very old Photoshop program that I figured wouldn't run with W10 anyway. It had some very cool special effects that my newer Photoshop Elements programs don't have but I can live without them. I also had two external CD/DVD burners that wouldn't function but that's also no big deal... I have two portable burners that do work along with the burner in the tower.

The problems I had with Windows 10 back when I tried installing it when it was free do no exist. Over the years, they did repair the original bugs. So for now, I'm a happy camper. Basically, I've ended up with Windows 7 that does run faster so that is a good thing.

All the hassles I feared have not, so far, appeared.

I'm now up to date.
Hey Gene! Where did you get the W10 flash drive upgrade. I did find it on Amazon. If you don't mind, how much did it cost you?

dld

Jim - It sounds like your battery died ---> not the charger. Batteries are ridiculously expensive. I can run my Toshiba laptop without the battery even in it. I would try removing the old battery, plugging in the power source and see if the old laptop will work. Some batteries just pop out where others are a bear to remove. Then copy off the pics to your CD or DVD player or flash drive. Worst case is take your laptop in to a repair place and they can get it done for you...
Most laptops are pretty easy to just remove the hard drive. Then you can buy an external hard drive housing for ~$15, and plug it into the new computer. If @Old Man can post his old computer model number, it should be easy to give instructions on how to do this. Usually takes about five screws to remove the drive, then it will just plug into the external housing.

Reactions: jwg

KerryS

Ignored Member
WFF Supporter
Your argument pretty much proves my point. You can use other stuff on a Mac, but you can't use macOS on anything else. If you think that isn't the definition of 'proprietary', I can't help you.
Yes you can but it has to be done in a virtual machine. I did it a long time ago using VMware. Easier to just buy a Mac. Nothing wrong with them and in my opinion the macOS is the smoothest running of any of them. I prefer a wintel machine for my desktop but that is mainly because it is the system I am most familiar with. I prefer an iPad and an iPhone over other portable devices because Apple basically made it mainstream and they do portable better than anyone else.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Hey Gene! Where did you get the W10 flash drive upgrade. I did find it on Amazon. If you don't mind, how much did it cost you?
I did get it at Amazon for 105.00. I read up on the installation and while the instructions indicate that you boot from the flash drive, others found that you simply install the flash with your computer running in Windows 7 and then install the program as you would any other on a flash drive. So, if you're doing an upgrade over Windows 7, don't bother with the booting from the flash drive... there's no need.

Last edited:

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
A few years ago when the free update to win 10 from win 7 came out, win 10 scared the shit out of me. About 3 months ago my Toshiba's(win 7) battery died so I ordered a new battery charger. Well they sent me the wrong model and I had to jump through about 3 hoops to get the right one. I said to hell with this shit and went out and bought a computer with win 10 in it.This is not scaring me at all. It's easy as pie to run. I just loaded in all the same systems I had on my win 7 computer. What scared me was the new system. My change over is complete. And I ain't no goddamn whiz at computers.

In paid over 600 bucks for my Toshiba. I paid 250 bucks for my current computer. It is 10 times faster and 350 bucks cheaper.
Jim, tell us what new computer you are using now, make and model etc.

Bruce Baker

Found this information yesterday and was able to download Windows 10 on both the laptop and desktop Windows 7 computers directly from Microsoft at no charge. It does take some time so unless you have a high-speed internet connection be prepared for several hours of download.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
It says you need a license to install Windows 10. Is that the same license from having Windows 7?

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Jim, tell us what new computer you are using now, make and model etc.
Hell I don't know what model it is. I needed a good computer and this was the first one I saw. I do know it's an HP. I never seem to get past the first base with a computer.

On the battery thing. I do know when the battery dies. You electric plug in was all wrong on my last battery charger. You should have a snug fit on your male end. Well it wasn't a snug fit and it didn't make a good connection. I connected the place where I got it from any they admitted they sent the wrong one.

I was just interested in the pictures. But they are only pictures. I can take more. As they are just pictures of the mountains, rivers, and trees. I will get a flash drive and save what I have on my new computer.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts