Sky Steelhead

Bob Newman

Need to get libtard inslee out so someone can start shooting the F’ing seals and sea lions. He’s obsessed with protecting orcas, guess what animals eat kings as well...not willing to harm some overpopulated animal for the benefit of other endangered ones is moronic.
Seals and sea lions are protected by the federal marine mammal act, states don't have much to say about it.

Yardus Maximus

WFF Supporter
Snoqualmie got 9 back last week during the high water. Not Good!

Reiter hasn't been counted yet this week. Still sitting on 2! Hope its one male and one female :rolleyes: what's the return on that investment?

There is only one public river on the coast with reasonable returns and that's it...

fis.jpg

Jakob B

Washington Native and college age angler
Snoqualmie got 9 back last week during the high water. Not Good!

Reiter hasn't been counted yet this week. Still sitting on 2! Hope its one male and one female :rolleyes: what's the return on that investment?

There is only one public river on the coast with reasonable returns and that's it...

View attachment 221229
But said river with "reasonable returns" isn't even that reasonable. That river should have over a thousand steelhead back already on an average year.

Jakob

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Seals and sea lions are protected by the federal marine mammal act, states don't have much to say about it.
But he idea of the post wasn't to make any actual sense. The point of the post was to call Inslee a Libtard. You see that is what was great about the post. He said Libtard. Isn't that great? Nothing characterizes a fantastic thought out post better than insulting a politician with a great big offensive broad brush .

Go Sox,
cds

scifidelity

Yes they can. How about Bob Ferguson sues the federal government for the right to control their population due to the negative impacts? He sues governing bodies all the time for much more frivolous reasons than this. He’s probably too busy trying to figure out how to make every gun illegal in WA.

JayB

I haven't followed the returns at the Sky hatchery before. Is this year on pace to be the worst year for returns since they've been keeping records, or have their been years this bad off and on for quite some time? To my eye all of the steelhead returns up and down the state look apocalyptically bad, but it's hard to tell without a bit more perspective.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I haven't followed the returns at the Sky hatchery before. Is this year on pace to be the worst year for returns since they've been keeping records, or have their been years this bad off and on for quite some time? To my eye all of the steelhead returns up and down the state look apocalyptically bad, but it's hard to tell without a bit more perspective.

From my memory this is the worst season since they implemented the hatchery reforms in 2006(?), if you dont plant fish you dont get fish back!

ChrisC

But said river with "reasonable returns" isn't even that reasonable. That river should have over a thousand steelhead back already on an average year.

Jakob
One could also assert that low returns are a reflection of how poor hatchery programs are in their return rates. And then there's other factors such as estuary and ocean conditions that are outside the control of hatchery managers.

We are looking at effectively hundreds and upwards thousands of dollars spent per returning fish. A devils advocate could argue that hatchery programs are a very poor investment in state funds and resources to benefit a relatively small number of recreational fishermen. To be very clear, I have enjoyed catching hatchery fish in the past but given the poor return rates as well as the crowds one faces at terminal fisheries, it's something I now question more and more.

GSIEGEL

Personally, I still find the whole situation quite depressing.

I've never been a Snohomish system regular, but look at the others that are in a similar situation or have already had the plug pulled. How much longer does the life support continue?

And the "one"; better does not equate to reasonable, good, or viable.

JM

Hatcheries used to release steelhead smolts at several of their public accesses on the lower skykomish. Lewis street, Ben Howard, and the mouth of the Sultan were examples. I was once told by a hatchery employee that it was an added expense that wdfw no longer was willing to exercise. Reiter ponds became the designated steelhead hatchery and the Wallace was just salmon on the previous split departments, even though I heard that the salmon guys would make room for steelhead.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Hatcheries used to release steelhead smolts at several of their public accesses on the lower skykomish. Lewis street, Ben Howard, and the mouth of the Sultan were examples. I was once told by a hatchery employee that it was an added expense that wdfw no longer was willing to exercise. Reiter ponds became the designated steelhead hatchery and the Wallace was just salmon on the previous split departments, even though I heard that the salmon guys would make room for steelhead.

They also recycled the excess fish, trucked them above the falls, PUD planted the Sultan river, also planted about double what they do now. Oh let's not forget all the plants an the Snoqualmie too.

skyrise

One could also assert that low returns are a reflection of how poor hatchery programs are in their return rates. And then there's other factors such as estuary and ocean conditions that are outside the control of hatchery managers.

We are looking at effectively hundreds and upwards thousands of dollars spent per returning fish. A devils advocate could argue that hatchery programs are a very poor investment in state funds and resources to benefit a relatively small number of recreational fishermen. To be very clear, I have enjoyed catching hatchery fish in the past but given the poor return rates as well as the crowds one faces at terminal fisheries, it's something I now question more and more.
The same could be said about trout stocking. Small percentage of the population per expense.
The bottom line is WDFW is there to provide fishing/hunting opportunities. Among other things. We pay for it so plant as many as possible. No one seems to get all worried about how many Salmon we plant so plant as much as possible.
Opportunity, opportunity. Let’s have as many choices as possible. there always seems to be money for sockeye or trout or stupid wolves than there IS money for Steelhead. Which brings in Way more dollars to the economy.
Rant ended.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info