The “one” that got away

P-FITZ98

I had enough time Saturday night to tie 3 quick ties and still get not-enough sleep for Sunday fishing. The last was a streamer, thrown together with parts mostly laying in the mess of stuff at hand. I liked the way it looked enough to start the day with it. My cousin makes some mean smoked fish, and this was a meat hunt of mindless trolling. Water was a perfect 50, and my rod wasn’t rolled out for long and it just buckled. Line pulls as I set the hook and adjust the drag, and after about 10 seconds of heavy pulls...pop....that sinking feeling...and it’s gone.......the only one I tied. Good thing I bring way more flies than any normal sane person should , and we caught many nice 16-20” hatchery brats, one sporting some jewelry. But no other hard pulls like the one that got away,.. with that ONE fly. I tied a replacement tonight, off memory ABF37839-A8CE-41C8-B6CC-89F8D22057A4.jpeg this is it, and I’ll definitely tie a few more. And my cousin dropped me by some amazing smoked fish today!

triploidjunkie

I had enough time Saturday night to tie 3 quick ties and still get not-enough sleep for Sunday fishing. The last was a streamer, thrown together with parts mostly laying in the mess of stuff at hand. I liked the way it looked enough to start the day with it. My cousin makes some mean smoked fish, and this was a meat hunt of mindless trolling. Water was a perfect 50, and my rod wasn’t rolled out for long and it just buckled. Line pulls as I set the hook and adjust the drag, and after about 10 seconds of heavy pulls...pop....that sinking feeling...and it’s gone.......the only one I tied. Good thing I bring way more flies than any normal sane person should , and we caught many nice 16-20” hatchery brats, one sporting some jewelry. But no other hard pulls like the one that got away,.. with that ONE fly. I tied a replacement tonight, off memory View attachment 218613 this is it, and I’ll definitely tie a few more. And my cousin dropped me by some amazing smoked fish today!
Rosie?

P-FITZ98

My wife liked the fish my cousin did so she actually braved the cold with me on Friday 88F14363-225A-4C79-A91D-E5197E0ED1A7.jpeg
gorgeous day, lots of fish, even a chinook I released, another rainbow with jewelry, and another smoker full9C430AF6-F6B8-4C36-8D89-1AC2C97E41B7.jpegB4492A8A-F8AB-4A3D-99D4-E3BBBC2D23D0.jpeg
Tied some more “one” flies. They didn’t seem to like them, but these all caught fish 15F770D3-7330-46F7-A686-9828B5283C9D.jpeg

P-FITZ98

Another great Sunday on the Franklin D. My fly fishing buddy Don has been recovering from shoulder operation, can’t cast a fly rod yet, but figured some mindless trolling would be good PT. The fly that started this thread was good for a few, as some other new stuff I tied Saturday.F6481AC7-EFC0-4E56-8A19-03C5655C0B21.jpeg9F5350DC-B91B-4366-AB7C-91C9FF0F3460.jpeg Water is 43 degrees now, LOTS of boats yesterday. Got a chuckle of pulling to ramp in my humble 14ft’r behind a 100k 20sum foot hard top with rods and flashers everywhere. Guy asks Don “how’d you do?”. Don- Not bad, at least a dozen. Other guy surprisingly responds-REALLY!?!? Walleye?? . Don- no, trout. Other guy- Really?!?! , on what? Don- flies. Other guy - walks away shaking head after saying they “only” got 9. The fish are a bonus. The scenery never gets old to me. Fun to just float around watching big horns on the hillsides.

triploidjunkie

Another great Sunday on the Franklin D. My fly fishing buddy Don has been recovering from shoulder operation, can’t cast a fly rod yet, but figured some mindless trolling would be good PT. The fly that started this thread was good for a few, as some other new stuff I tied Saturday.View attachment 219505View attachment 219506 Water is 43 degrees now, LOTS of boats yesterday. Got a chuckle of pulling to ramp in my humble 14ft’r behind a 100k 20sum foot hard top with rods and flashers everywhere. Guy asks Don “how’d you do?”. Don- Not bad, at least a dozen. Other guy surprisingly responds-REALLY!?!? Walleye?? . Don- no, trout. Other guy- Really?!?! , on what? Don- flies. Other guy - walks away shaking head after saying they “only” got 9. The fish are a bonus. The scenery never gets old to me. Fun to just float around watching big horns on the hillsides.
You saw the Hellsgate bighorns!? Nice!

Latest posts