Sage DS vs RPL

Shad

The DS is a medium-fast rod at a moderate price point. Was my first (and only) rod for years. Good all-around, but the beloved RPL is a finer tool, without question.

Jaydub

When they came out, about 30 years ago, the DS was Sage's entry level rod and the RPL was top of the line. The DS was made form Graphite II and the RPL was made from Graphite III. The RPL was lighter, faster, had nicer hardware and cost about twice as much. Nothing wrong with the DS and it was a great value, but the RPL was a nicer rod.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I traded a St Croix Imperial 9'4wt for a DS2 9' 6wt. Straight up. I think I got the best in the swap. I didn't like that St Croix. To whippy. But I have fished the hell out of that DS2.

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
So if you like a soft action rod, the DS is great. I have several. Since I primarily roll cast, I love them. They skagit cast like no other.

Last edited:

quilbilly

gO dAwGs
DS series are OK to good rods. RPL is a very good rod, if a tad fast.
My first nice trout rod was an RPL 590.....it's 30 years old and still gets regular use, although my BIIX Winston 490 has become the go to choice when the flys are small and the wind is minimal
My DS 690 is only used occasionally these days, the XP691 gets the bulk of the 6 wt work, mostly for beach fishing.

Steve Saville

I still have my RPL that I bought in 1991. It was my first really good rod; paid $380 new. I found it to be a bit stiff for dry fly fishing but then that was probably just me. I haven't used it in several years now, preferring to fish with a G Loomis NRX LP, 5 wt. The rod was a really nice choice back in the day. It is probably still a good choice. I didn'y like the DS models. They seemed to be a cheap alternative. I have a friend who broke two in the lower section. That kept me away.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Guess I was wrong. Thought I’d been told that after they moved beyond the RPL that Sage continued using the RPL blank for the DS, with cheaper appointments. I bought my oldest daughter a 5wt DS (on sale) that she used twice only. In the last 15 years I’ve lawn cast it maybe twice, and am always impressed at what a great casting rod it is.
Daughter #2 got an Ibis (on sale, also on her 6th birthday) which she uses infrequently.

Triggw

Guess I was wrong. Thought I’d been told that after they moved beyond the RPL that Sage continued using the RPL blank for the DS, with cheaper appointments.
You're thinking of the VPS. (Although Sage actually said that while the taper was the same, the materials were updated in the VPS.)

Latest posts