Trip Report The Lowcountry

Matt B

I got to do some inshore saltwater fishing with Pops while visiting for the holiday. Trout fishing was good before the big tide change. We also found a spot with some reds, and rounded out the day with some black drum and sand trout. I also snagged a good sized mullet in the tail which was surprising. I used a borrowed 9’ 8 wt St. Croix Legend Elite with a floating line. I think I like my old Lefty Kreh TFO Pro better. The TFO seems more powerful—definitely faster.

The fishing and sunshine at this time of year were a real treat for this Northwesterner. It was also interesting to imagine figuring this fishery out. The productive spots seemed similar to so many others—a big seemingly endless sea of grass and channels. The guide liked my casting, which is always a good thing (and nice to hear). He told me to come back and he had some spots to take me to. I hope I can some day!A5959EEF-A756-46F9-9038-A65F4B54ECFE.jpeg29D608E1-9C9F-4BD9-B7AA-DA7603FF8524.jpeg221C7A6B-E788-441F-A58D-4D628487ED69.jpeg
6C43F583-61C3-4CCB-AB44-87DFF1605681.jpegABF192EB-EFA3-48BD-BA73-C95745969411.jpeg

SilverFly

I got to do some inshore saltwater fishing with Pops while visiting for the holiday. Trout fishing was good before the big tide change. We also found a spot with some reds, and rounded out the day with some black drum and sand trout. I also snagged a good sized mullet in the tail which was surprising. I used a borrowed 9’ 8 wt St. Croix Legend Elite with a floating line. I think I like my old Lefty Kreh TFO Pro better. The TFO seems more powerful—definitely faster.

The fishing and sunshine at this time of year were a real treat for this Northwesterner. It was also interesting to imagine figuring this fishery out. The productive spots seemed similar to so many others—a big seemingly endless sea of grass and channels. The guide liked my casting, which is always a good thing (and nice to hear). He told me to come back and he had some spots to take me to. I hope I can some day!View attachment 218784View attachment 218785View attachment 218786
View attachment 218788View attachment 218789
Great report buddy. Glad you're getting out on some amazing trips this year. Days on the water like that with your Dad are priceless. I am a bit concerned about the amorphous black blob on your face though ;).

Last edited:

Jim Darden

Great report, what part of Washington are you from, your profile doesn't say.....don't give away any secret stuff, like your state....

Matt B

Great report, what part of Washington are you from, your profile doesn't say.....don't give away any secret stuff, like your state....
I’m not sure how that information adds to the post, and I find your facetious tone perplexing given that my personal information is my concern, and any enjoyment or anxiety you gleaned from my post cost you exactly $0.00, but since 2004 I have lived in the beautiful and highly populated Puget Sound region of Washington State.

Buzzy

@Matt B - Now that it is about 24°F outside I've been thinking how nice it would be to go fishing where it is warmer. Thanks for sharing and the redacted picture cracked me up.

btw the ignore button is your friend.

Jim Darden

I’m not sure how that information adds to the post, and I find your facetious tone perplexing given that my personal information is my concern, and any enjoyment or anxiety you gleaned from my post cost you exactly $0.00, but since 2004 I have lived in the beautiful and highly populated Puget Sound region of Washington State.
Sorry, no offense intended, just was wondering where you were fishing for red fish and hoping you were located near me so I could discuss that type of fishing with you over lunch. I've fished for them in Florida and Texas but am looking at the possibilities in Louisiana.

Matt B

Sorry, no offense intended, just was wondering where you were fishing for red fish and hoping you were located near me so I could discuss that type of fishing with you over lunch. I've fished for them in Florida and Texas but am looking at the possibilities in Louisiana.
Oh, well the Lowcountry is a specific region of South Carolina and Georgia. Louisiana does look fun though. More sight fishing I think.

Jim Darden

Oh, well the Lowcountry is a specific region of South Carolina and Georgia. Louisiana does look fun though. More sight fishing I think.

Never got to "low Country" but I did make a "Low Country Boil" which was fantastic. Tried the fishing around Salvo, NC and found it enjoyable, probably like your SC experience. The advantage of that area of the country is that the species of fish varies with the time of the year. I found that pretty exciting, You are lucky to have kin in that area!!

My first fish on the fly was a speckled sea trout on the Georgia coast. I flailed my 8 wt. For 8 fishless months before i figured out where to be at what tidal stage.

Your photos took me back to those marshes. Picked a good time of year to go, the rest of the year is hot and humid. Thanks for the share!

Latest posts