Camera preferences

Speyrod GB

For the past couple of years I have carried a Fuji point and shoot camera with me during my fishing excursions. The camera is not bad, however it does not deliver the quality photos I want. I also don't have the exposure control that I want.

I have been thinking about using my old Nikon D80 as a "sacrificial camera", in case I go "swimming". My preference is river fishing, however I am rediscovering lakes to be a great challenge and fun.

I am curious what others are using on their fishing adventures.

Tight lines and thanks for the responses.;

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
If you haven't drowned a camera or more, you have been missing shots !
: )
(my motto before digital underwater cameras came out)

Olympus Tough cameras are fun, solid cameras. Not much on the telephoto side for wildlife, but take a beating and shoot underwater nicely. Good video on the new ones as well.

Keh.com for nice used at good prices, or get new

I have never been afraid to take any camera in the field if I thought I could get some wildlife shots. Drowned many a camera, but still average under one per decade.

Last edited:

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
I have been risking destroying a Panasonic GX85 and a G85 (allegedly weather sealed). If a river crossing looks treacherous, I throw my camera in my dry backpack. The image quality beats the crap out of my point and shoot.

I also have the Nikon AW1, and it's pretty good but not as awesome as the Panasonics. If you can find one around $200 with the zoom lens, I recommend that over a point and shoot.

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

With cell phone cameras being as capable as they are these days I'm of the opinion that a good water proof/resistant smart phone with a waterproof case is just about as capable as most point and shoot cameras for every day use.

For anything else I have several Sony Mirrorless cameras and an assortment of lenses. Most of my fishing is done from boats so it's not an issue to bring a couple cameras and few lenses.

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I still use a waterproof Panasonic while fishing, but if I want better photos, I use one of my bridge cameras - great pictures, fairly easy to use and excellent telephoto reach & macro capability without having to carry additional lenses. A Sony RX10 IV is my favorite.

GAT

Dumbfounded
My DSLR is a Canon 60D. My waterproof field camera is a Lumix (Panasonic) TS30. As I no longer write outdoor articles and I don't want to carry around a large camera on my pontoon boat, the Lumix is what I use the most and responsible for the photos that show up here. I still use the DSLR for the studio fly pattern shots I post on the fly tying forum.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Back in the film days, I can't tell you how many cameras died for the cause by falling in rivers. I always used Nikons or Canons back in the writing days so some of my fishing trips ended up very expensive!:eek:

para_adams

This year I upgraded my vest pocket sized stream camera to a Canon G9X which gives as much exposure settings control as I want to use and nice image resolution. I shoot all non-fishing photography with my full-frame Canon 5D mark III and know its interface inside-out, so the G9X's interface still confuses me sometimes, but its images are nice. If you buy Canon try waiting for a sale on Canon Refurbished, great deals and a one year warranty. Here's one capture from the Bitterroot las summer that I included in my Classic Calendar...

Josh

dead in the water
Staff member
With cell phone cameras being as capable as they are these days I'm of the opinion that a good water proof/resistant smart phone with a waterproof case is just about as capable as most point and shoot cameras for every day use.
The only problem is that phones are so slippery and terrible ergonomically. I take my phone with me a lot of the time and it's so difficult to do anything one handed or grab it quickly. While the phone takes amazing images, I find that a waterproop point and shoot like the Olympus Tough cameras makes for a significantly easier on-river photography experience.

jasmillo

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. SRC fishing for me in the winter is as much about exploring a quiet beach and getting outside as it is catching fish. Well, almost as much about....

Since my wife’s main hobby is photograph, I have a few old DSLR’s that could be used as sacrificial lambs. This winter I am thinking about carrying an old Nikon D3500 with a couple of stock lenses when I fish the beach. I carry a waterproof backpack so plenty of room and protection. That being said, I’ll probably wrap them in a plastic bag as well because a little bit of moisture always seems to get in.

I’m looking forward to it. You never know what you might come access when fishing the sound.

That being said, as Nick said above, cell phone cameras have come a long way and many are waterproof/resistant. I am amazed how how many times I have dunked my iPhone XR in saltwater with no side effects. I mean really submerged it. When it gets dunked, I simply take it in the shower with me when I get home and give it a good rinse so no corrosion issues pop up. The quality of things like fish pics, sunsets, etc. is decent as well. They take quality shots these days, are multi functional tools and can get wet. Hard to beat.

Latest posts