Trip Report Upstate New York

freestonebound

Last Warm-water day of 2019

Partridge Run

As the crisp, cold, morning on a Saturday alerted me I realized, I didn't have much time left. Winter was coming. I aligned my senses. I thought about my plans... I had none that pressing. I went back into the house and asked my wife if I could go fishing. She said yes. She almost always says yes but I feel less guilt if I have approval. I grabbed my recently purchased belly boat and was off.

Image result for caddis belly boat

A steal at $85.00
https://www.amazon.com/Caddis-Sports-Nevada-Float-Tube/dp/B004QCO52C

Tubbs Pond in all its splendor. This was the reason I purchased the belly boat.

This fish was a bit Crappie. (He he)

A colored up Perch.

A PJ (Pike Junior) on the fly. Chain pickerel are too much fun!

20191013_171739.jpg

I had no water craft before this trip. I had a feeling the other side would be good but its closed off due to trees, weeds, and a deep shoreline. I had been planning to get to the other side for the past 2 years. As I finally started paddling (kicking) back to the dock to end my season; I couldn't believe that for $85.00 this was possible. Better late than never.

The fly that caught most of the fish that day.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
I missed getting up to Oak Orchard Creek last fall. Those big bruising brown trout are a hoot in November. But this year the run was way off. High water in Lake Ontario was supposedly the problem. I guess it messed up the spawning grounds below the dam. I grew up on the upstate New York fishing. Still an amazing range of opportunities.

freestonebound

I missed getting up to Oak Orchard Creek last fall. Those big bruising brown trout are a hoot in November. But this year the run was way off. High water in Lake Ontario was supposedly the problem. I guess it messed up the spawning grounds below the dam. I grew up on the upstate New York fishing. Still an amazing range of opportunities.
Just came back from Eastern Ontario tributaries (I got skunked). The Catt (Lake Erie) is really nice at Zoar Valley.

para_adams

Where in Upstate NY? I learned to fly fish when living there for my wife's masters degree at Cornell in Ithaca. I remember fishing through the winter, guides icing, ice forming along the edges of Fall Creek, occasional fish being caught. Wish I had that thick skin still and could fish through freezing weather!

freestonebound

Where in Upstate NY? I learned to fly fish when living there for my wife's masters degree at Cornell in Ithaca. I remember fishing through the winter, guides icing, ice forming along the edges of Fall Creek, occasional fish being caught. Wish I had that thick skin still and could fish through freezing weather!
Schoharie NY. West of Albany 35 miles. The Schoharie Creek is my home water. Huge small mouth! I'm located midway between the Catskills and Adirondacks. Fun Fact: Art Flick wrote The Streamside Guide while sitting by The Schoharie. He was in the coldwater trout section, though.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock