Let's do this! 2019-20 ski thread

Old406Kid

You guys need to post your ages on your profiles so I don't feel like such a putz. :(
I took skiing back up last year after a 25+ year hiatus and found out yesterday that 15+ inches of fresh powder was no fun for this 70 year old body. I quit after 2 1/2 hours and decided that it's groomers for me from here on out.

Peyton00

You guys need to post your ages on your profiles so I don't feel like such a putz. :(
I took skiing back up last year after a 25+ year hiatus and found out yesterday that 15+ inches of fresh powder was no fun for this 70 year old body. I quit after 2 1/2 hours and decided that it's groomers for me from here on out.
Do u have modern skis?
Its a nite and day experience.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Crystal Mtn -

A TOUGH BUT NECESSARY DECISION
Effective Saturday, January 18th, we have taken a decision to preserve the aspect of what we all love about this mountain – a community resort, with an uncommercial and pristine environment and amazing skiing and riding. It was a tough call – we are skiers at heart and turning away those who love the mountain is not in our nature. But something needs to change for the community good.

We will discontinue selling walk-up full day tickets at the ticket booths on weekends and holidays in order to hold skier visits to what our roads and parking infrastructure is designed to handle. will monitor this closely and make adjustments as we continue to learn how this will impact our guests and the mountain.
On weekends and holidays, we will continue to honor all Ikon Pass holders, purchasers of any advanced ticket product such as 5-pack vouchers, advance single days tickets, and other such products.
We will offer a finite amount of advance tickets online for weekends and holidays. But we will limit the available quantities of these day tickets based on a consideration of variables such as the snow forecast, mountain conditions, traffic, road conditions, and any other factors that contribute to people making their decision to ski on that day.

Our belief is that this will have the effect of capping total numbers of skiers to a level that our roads and parking infrastructure can accommodate while still providing a premium experience.

In the short term, for this season we will continue to reinforce our efforts to give timely and transparent travel and parking information. We will continue investing large sums in providing bus service to Crystal. We will continue incenting our customers to carpool. And in the coming weeks, we will be announcing new and more rewarding incentives to our customers who visit on weekdays.

This initiative is a part of maintaining our untrammeled experience and the rustic nature of why we love Crystal. Like everyone, we need to begin to change our behavior to help sustain our ski experience now and for future generations. Our commitment is to provide our guests with a superior experience - we believe that these steps will move us towards that objective. As a community, we all love Crystal, but right now it’s a mountain that is feeling too much love and we are taking decisive action to preserve what it means to all of us.

With respect and gratitude.

Frank DeBerry
President & COO

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
@Old406Kid what are you skiing on?

If you are still on older technology, I agree with the others that you should try a ski with a wider waist.

Wyobee

I kinda miss the long straight skis, circa the eighties, and the beautiful turns, though I notice the skis are getting longer and straighter again but Soo fat. Does rocker tech actually work?

Hem

You have to decide if you want to float in powder and skid on groomers or sink in powder and carve on groomers.
Not really an exaggeration.

deansie

Crystal situation sounds like an opportunity to cut short term operating costs and chalk it up to traffic. My guess is they keep this approach and everything is web based next year and moving forward. Now whether they reinvest that infrastructure for better logistics is to be seen.

Peyton00

Its too crowded up there for parking logistics.
I show up early and park pretty close.
The mnt can handle alot more people, upper chairs dont have long waits.
There is the typical rush from 9am- noon.
The families go to lunch and the crowds never return.

Snopro

Its too crowded up there for parking logistics.
I show up early and park pretty close.
The mnt can handle alot more people, upper chairs dont have long waits.
Strange times we're skiing in. I never thought I'd see the day a major PNW ski area would stop selling day tickets. Ikon and Epic have turned the industry on it's head. I think buying property in Enumclaw for parking and going all in on busing is their best option. Option 2, thin the herd. Limit Ikon ski days and jack up the price to a point people can no longer afford Crystal. It's been years since I've been there, do they have much room to expand parking at the area?

I feel fortunate to ski at an independent area that will most likely stay that way. We have similar problems as Crystal, being the big player next to a major metro area. Some days it gets crazy busy, but we have more up hill chair capacity than parking capacity so if everything is running the runs can absorb the numbers well. It sounds like Crystal is the same. The difference is better highway access and no Ikon or Epic folks clogging things up.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock