Let's do this! 2019-20 ski thread

Wyobee

My pow skis are 9 lbs and I don't really notice them being heavy. Any idea how heavy yours are?

Got some new snow and decided to meet up with some guests for a quick afternoon sesh. Showed them some classic Bridger terrain. Safe to say they were diggin' it.

They are probably 10 lbs plus bindings at 184cm, but upon a little research they are considered heavy, volkl mantras. I just bought them because i like the design to be honest.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
They are probably 10 lbs plus bindings at 184cm, but upon a little research they are considered heavy, volkl mantras. I just bought them because i like the design to be honest.
Great ski. The Gotama was my powder ski for several years.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Clarki
There you go being a "literalist" again.
Of course it's not true. But the fundamental principles cant be argued.
I ski an Atomic Backland 132/102/123 which is barely considered fat by many. Great pow and crud ski, but not ideal for cranking over on edge.
Really liking the new Volkl Kendo 88. (129/88/111)This might be a good replacement for my really skinny Atomics from the nineties;) and better suited for general conditions.
No different than fly rods. A good caster can make any combination work but pairing gear to the conditions makes the experience more enjoyable.....which is what this part of the thread is addressing.....literally.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy ripping on race like GS skis, but to a degree they can be as limiting as ultra fatties in mixed conditions. My daily drivers are 100mm underfoot, and can carve in all but world cup density snow. But, I also feel to a degree that it is the archer and not necessarily the arrow that is the issue on that high density snow. I struggle a bit on my well tuned GS skis on that stuff as well.
I think alot of people judge wide skis on poorly tuned, poorly constructed, what my ex world cup ski tuner buddy calls "Garage Band" skis. And while I think it ultra cool for the industry that there are a growing amount of limited production ski companies, it's hard to beat skis that are very well constructed.
I ski alot with industry folks that ski every day, some of which are ex-racers, that can pretty much ski any ski in any condition. My daily drivers allow to be able to keep up with them, especially in mixed conditions.

Snopro

I also feel to a degree that it is the archer and not necessarily the arrow.....

I ski alot with industry folks that ski every day, some of which are ex-racers, that can pretty much ski any ski in any condition.
I think it's 90% archer vs arrow.

Having said that...if the guys your skiing with took world cup slalom skis out for a run in 3 ft of low angle PNW "powder" they wouldn't be able to move much less turn. All the while being passed by kooks on fully rockered, 130mm, garage band skis.

smc

WFF Supporter
I ski alot with industry folks that ski every day, some of which are ex-racers, that can pretty much ski any ski in any condition. My daily drivers allow to be able to keep up with them, especially in mixed conditions.
Back when I used to ski every day, I was lucky enough to ski a lot with a major brand rep and his "industry" buddies. I thought I was getting pretty good - until they whipped out the skinny telemark skis on a hip deep powder day. Those guys could ski. On anything. In any condition. Sure did reset the bar for me.

Swimmy

WFF Supporter
Been on a pretty good run here. While we haven't had the accumulation of Jackson, Utah, or other areas in the PNW, we have received snow every day for the last week. The mtn is skiing fantastic.

Met up with a new friend today. Dude is a ripper.

Amazing how good 3" of new can be at Bridger.

underachiever

members only
Wow! My sample size is probably much smaller than everyone posting in this thread (probably 35ish days) but today was the BEST snow I've skied in. Deep and light. Throughout the day I shared lifts with a lot of old timers and more than once I heard that it was the nicest snow they'd skied at Hood since the 90's.

More than a few dudes ripping on straight skis today too.

Last edited:

Swimmy

WFF Supporter
Huge skier trigger slide on Saddle Peak today. There were tracks all over this thing today. For those not aware, this is south of the boundary at Bridger Bowl and is backcountry conditions. No way I'd be skiing it right now as I don't trust our snowpack.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts