Let's do this! 2019-20 ski thread

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
Huge skier trigger slide on Saddle Peak today. There were tracks all over this thing today. For those not aware, this is south of the boundary at Bridger Bowl and is backcountry conditions. No way I'd be skiing it right now as I don't trust our snowpack.

I am glad to find out that your are cautious Swimmy.

underachiever

members only
There's a lot of that going around. ;)

I think Windy does a good job with wind, but struggles with precipitation in mountainous terrain.
This is my first season using it as a reference so I'm still getting the feel of that sites accuracy. Regardless of the source, forecasts past 2 days out seem to be all over the place so I don't know why I waste my time looking at them.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I think Windy does a good job with wind, but struggles with precipitation in mountainous terrain.
Is the wind animation real time? It looks cool but doesn't match my home weather station readings, nor the ASOS and AWOS METAR stations bracketing me W-E 5 miles away.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
The entire North Summit Snowfield at Big Sky ripped yesterday. Absolutely huge avalanche. For the snow nerds it went R4D4. Fortunately no one was on this as they have not had it open all season.

Just a nasty year for stability with HUGE avalanches all over SW Montana.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
It's been a very long time since I've done any snowpack analysis but that fracture looks incredibly hazardous to be standing under.

I hazily recall back in the day the local resorts here usually seemed to scout the upper slopes pretty thoroughly and blast if necessary before opening up and allowing guests in for the day. Big Sky is a lot larger than the WA areas but Silver Mountain in ID isn't and I'm surprised that there aren't greater avalanche control efforts being done inside the resort boundaries.

Hem

The entire North Summit Snowfield at Big Sky ripped yesterday. Absolutely huge avalanche. For the snow nerds it went R4D4. Fortunately no one was on this as they have not had it open all season.

Just a nasty year for stability with HUGE avalanches all over SW Montana.

Awesome pictures of the fracture.
Not certain about the human...especially above the separation. But I'm no expert

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Thats like a MT Baker fracture, scary shit. Be careful out there everyone, I have a feeling it's going to be a bad year here in WA with all the varied conditions and extra rain this year.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Fun day. Spent a lot of time trying to getting on one ski and practice counter steering. The guys in the videos make it look so easy

For fun, I dug a pit on an E facing aspect. We know the snowpack has poor structure and we were not going into avalanche terrain. But I'm kind of a snow nerd and wanted to see what was happening.

Snow depth was 135 cm. Initial test went ectx.

The bottom 50 cm was sugary weak junk. It was just falling out of the pit wall. So I cleared the top 2' down to a weak layer and retested. Got it to propagate on the depth hoar.

Not sure how that test would be scored but it confirmed poor structure and poor stability. Might be hard to trigger but if you do the whole thing is going. Kind of what we've been seeing all year with deep slab avalanches.

Anyway, I'm worked and gonna be sore as shit tomorrow

Peyton00

I took the wife and granddaughter to paradise today. Small crowd, easy drive. Blue skies most of the trip.
A few hours of inner tubing.
20200126_122921.jpg 20200126_124002.jpg

Side note: swimmy on the snowmachine looks like a bit more fun.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts