Let's do this! 2019-20 ski thread

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Alright Swimmy...you had a day of rest....shake it off. The seasons are transitioning.
Nice! He's definitely got the look.

Went to the Dr yesterday. Good news is it just achilles tendonitis. Bad news I'm still limping and didn't get any drugs. Skiing is out for probably another week.

Meanwhile, Big Sky got close to a foot overnight. Motherfucker, I hate missing big days.

Guess it is time to renew the license.

Hem

A friend gave me two day passes for Big Sky.
He is an Eagle Mount guy.
Looks like temps will drop this weekend with snow. Hoping for cold smoke to use these tickets.

WAS

Skied Schweitzer last Thurs, Fri, Sun and yesterday with almost a foot of new on Saturday. Yesterday proves an old guy can persevere, even after a massive wreck, and keep going. Man, havn't done a yard sale forever but at least I can claim it was on some steep shit. Slid between 60-70 yds and my group thought about calling the SP. Feel like it today, pass the Tylenol please... Looks like end of season for me as Carol and I have decided to go ahead with our trip to Kauai next week. Spoke with the rental guy over there this evening and he said no one has cancelled arrangements with his properties, restaurants are full, no one talks about "the virus" and all goes on. Have to go through Seatac but so far we are both feeling healthy and the biggest decision is fly rods or gear. ;)

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
My ski season ends via Corona virus. Wednesday I'm in Newark waiting for a flight to Zurich and a week of glorious corn snow skiing in Austria. Flight gets delayed three hours for a mechanical as we wait for a new plane. About 30 minutes before boarding my phone starts buzzing with the wife texting me about Trump's European travel ban. We talk for about 5 minutes trying to figure out whether it includes US Citizens (DHS hadn't updated it yet). Quickly found a customer service agent, cancelled my flight to Europe and got on the last flight of the night back home. This morning found out the ski area I was going to is being shut down on Sunday and the hotels closed on Monday by the Austrian government. Dodged a bullet with the plane delay as who knows what would have happened if I arrived in Zurich to the news of a travel ban and then learning of the closure a day before heading to the mountains.

My other trip was to a ski-mo race in Colorado in April but decided I just don't want to risk traveling at this point so cancelled my flight and hotel (thank god both were refundable).

Fucking bummed but at least driving to the coast and surfing is a great virus avoiding sport.

Swimmy

WFF Supporter
I'm still limping around from the achilles thing. Sucks as we have a nice storm rolling in over the weekend and with corona the crowds will be thin.

Not sure I can just sit around so I'll probably do something stupid like boot up and try to be a hero.

Injury sucks.

Wyobee

This year, I turned 50 last summer, is the first year I realized if I want to keep skiing until I'm 60, 70, or 80, I'm going to have to start exercising. Each time out got more physically daunting instead of easier and easier as the season progressed. Deep knee bends and sit ups maybe?

Last edited:

WAS

Three days later and two of our three couple group have cancelled. Looks like I will pull the plug on the Kauai trip tomorrow. Our first week's property owners will let us rebook up to a year, which is generous, Alaska Air the same and the Costco rental car we can drop anytime. We stand to lose most of the $$ on our second week's accommodation, with possible total refund IF it rents in a week. Not holding my breath on that since it is a VRBO/Expedia deal and they as a company are so far showing no mercy. We decided it would be irresponsible of us to fly over there and potentially spread virus all over the island. Chris, you really caught that in time as we have considered being quarantined on the island for days if we got sick, which could either be good or bad depending on which gym floor or tent county health would house us. With cold weather and snow moving in tonight there's a possibility of getting up into the Clearwater range for a day of skinning and sliding. Did I say my knee is still killing me? My knee is killing me.

Swimmy

WFF Supporter
Big Sky and Bridger have suspended operations. Fuck.

Pretty tough light at times but overall super fun "last" day. Can't believe lift season is over.

Hem

Big Sky and Bridger have suspended operations. Fuck.

Pretty tough light at times but overall super fun "last" day. Can't believe lift season is over.

Nice.
What a crowded shitshow st Big Sky today.
Fun...but I prefer other local places

Swimmy

WFF Supporter
What a crowded shitshow st Big Sky today.
I was second chair on Challenger this morning, skied until 1, and never waited in line.

Not surprised to hear though that other areas of the mtn were busy. Everyone knew it was last day of the season.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts