Let's do this! 2019-20 ski thread

Hem

I was second chair on Challenger this morning, skied until 1, and never waited in line.

Not surprised to hear though that other areas of the mtn were busy. Everyone knew it was last day of the season.
We made our way to the Moonlight side...better there. Skied all day.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Big one today. This has been on the list for a while as it is probably the most prominent line seen from town. Here's my report.

From the trailhead we skinned up through the forest. As we climbed, trees started to give way. Our climb would get us on the ridge

After about 3 1/2 hours, we gained the summit.

This was our line which led to the North Facing bowl. Man it looked tasty.

And it was. Big mtn powder skiing at its finest.

Fuck yeah!

Killer ski but we weren't done. Little more skinning to get out

And some tree skiing to get home

Leave only footprints. I'm whooped.

Last edited:

Swimmy

WFF Supporter
With everything going on the past few days have been unsettling to say the least. Ski touring is probably my favorite way to clear my mind. Headed out today with one of my best buds to see if we could find some decent turns.

Earning it.

Mission accomplished

WAS

Conditions look good, yet. We've had a couple of 60+ degree days down here in the hinterlands and probably some good afternoon corn where I should have been today. Looks like you pack your boots along instead of wearing them on the machine. We never do that but the last time we got our sleds stuck it would have been a real good idea. You have quite a bit more clearance and longer cleats with your sled than we do with the old RMKs. Got reverse?

Swimmy

WFF Supporter
I do have reverse. Sometimes I pack my boots, sometimes I wear em. Just depends on the day and the objective.

Snow in the forecast for the next day or two. There is a ongoing conversation right now in the ski community regarding touring during these times. Like with many things, there is a huge grey area.

I first thought it would be best to back off but I'm struggling to completely call it quits for the season.

O' Clarkii Stomias

I do have reverse. Sometimes I pack my boots, sometimes I wear em. Just depends on the day and the objective.

Snow in the forecast for the next day or two. There is a ongoing conversation right now in the ski community regarding touring during these times. Like with many things, there is a huge grey area.

I first thought it would be best to back off but I'm struggling to completely call it quits for the season.
Gray area? You fuck yourself up, and require SAR, EMS, and hospitalization, a a taking time and supplies away from others! Period!

Swimmy

WFF Supporter
Gray area? You fuck yourself up, and require SAR, EMS, and hospitalization, a a taking time and supplies away from others! Period!
Should I not go fishing either? Our rivers can be slippery with large cobble and not uncommon to wreck a knee. There is also snow on the banks which could result in a fall.

Should I not go for a jog or walk outside because it is snowing right now and could be slippery?

Are people being required to stop smoking? Quit eating like shit? Drinking too much? I'd argue those folks take up way more resources than active folks trying to stay fit, both mentally and physically.

I get your point and this is the discussion that is taking place. But where do we draw the line?

O' Clarkii Stomias

Should I not go fishing either? Our rivers can be slippery with large cobble and not uncommon to wreck a knee. There is also snow on the banks which could result in a fall.

Should I not go for a jog or walk outside because it is snowing right now and could be slippery?

Are people being required to stop smoking? Quit eating like shit? Drinking too much? I'd argue those folks take up way more resources than active folks trying to stay fit, both mentally and physically.

I get your point and this is the discussion that is taking place. But where do we draw the line?
I'm not telling you what you should do or not do, just consider how decisions you make may affect others.

Bowbonehead

With all the resorts being shut down a pal called to see if I was into some back country touring I was fairly keen until the wife and daughter heard about my plans and quickly scuttled them with something about the need to be responsible so I spent today tuning/waxing and putting gear away till next year..... as for fishing.... me thinks tomorrow might be a good day to go for a walk along the river and practice my social distancing..... yes we are still allowed to go for walks in these parts alone.......

Swimmy

WFF Supporter
Stay at home goes into effect tomorrow through April 10. Time to tie some flies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts