Lamson Speedster Spool Stuck

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
Haven’t used this reel for a year as it’s a 9 wt I intended to use for muskie fishig. I got it off but played hell doing it. Do I send it to the company or is there a magic way to EASILY remove and switch spools without breaking my thumbs? I actually could not remove it with thumb pressure. What gives?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I grasp the frame with the fingers of both hands; one on each side of the frame with the spool facing downward. I press downward on the spool through the frame with both thumbs using a moderate amount of effort and it pops free. The Speedster looks easier than the reel in the video because the frame is more open.

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
Nope. Doesn’t work. I had to take a screwdriver and carefully work things. I got it off once. Put it back on. Tight as tight gets. It does not pop off. All my strength won’t budge it.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Haven’t used this reel for a year as it’s a 9 wt I intended to use for muskie fishig. I got it off but played hell doing it. Do I send it to the company or is there a magic way to EASILY remove and switch spools without breaking my thumbs? I actually could not remove it with thumb pressure. What gives?
Did you ever use it in salt water? Some times the salt gets into funny places and screws things up.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Did you ever use it in salt water? Some times the salt gets into funny places and screws things up.
The Speedster has been my SRC Beach reel since they came out (3, 4 years?). A soak in the sink for 30 minutes with changing the water a couple times when it drains out and I've never had a problem.

Birdbrain

Rather than using a screwdriver (yikes!) to remove the spool, email Lamson for help. Most likely, they'll ask you to send it in. Their technical service is first class.

I have four Lamson reels. Once or twice a spool has been tough to remove. I solved the problem by applying a tiny amount of O-ring lubricant to the O-ring behind the black gland nut. The maintenance instructions that came with two of my reels say to never allow grease or oil near the drag assembly, but the info with other reels say to occassionally apply a very small amount of high-temperature grease to that O-ring.

Last edited:

Tinker

Coigrich
I had a similar but nowhere near as severe problem with a Litespeed. Lamson recommended using a lint-free cloth to put a thin coat of dry silicne lubricant on the axle (? the thing the spool spins on) and it worked. I couldn't recommend contacting them more highly. They're great to work with.

Latest posts