Hackle Folding Tool

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Below is Tim Flaglers version of a simple hackle folding tool for laid back collars on a variety of flies

i no longer play guitar so i have no picks laying around the house

so i improvised with a bread bag plastic closure (follow the directions in the video to use the tool)

note: there are multiple ways of folding hackle (most tyers will never need to do this), the above is just 1 more way

Ron McNeal

Life's good!
Saw a link to Flagler's video two weeks ago on MIDCURRENT and then, like you, Norm, I improvised & made one out of an old credit card. Works great. Flagler's a treasure: new (& old) tyers can/could benefit exponentially by watching his videos.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
yes he is. he has a lot of one minute tying tip videos

i got the idea of the bread closure from one of the comments to the video and also commented on using a piece of an credit card

Jack Devlin

Below is Tim Flaglers version of a simple hackle folding tool for laid back collars on a variety of flies

so i improvised with a bread bag plastic closure (follow the directions in the video to use the tool)

note: there are multiple ways of folding hackle (most tyers will never need to do this), the above is just 1 more way
On my way to buy a loaf of bread.

Jim Darden

Norm, thanks so much!! I have tried all the other ways but have not been happy with the result. Suprised I can still learn something new at my age.....

the_grube

I've had good luck using a pair of Dr Slick razor scissors for folding hackle. I like them so much I might start strumming my guitars with them too.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
So I use saltwater hackle as a prop for my marabou flies. Does folding said hackle reduce the prop?

ive got my opinions but thought I’d ask.

PhilR

If you want to learn more about bread closures, check out HORG.com. The Holotypic Occlupanid Research Group

Taxonomy
Class Occlupanida (Occlu=to close, pan= bread) are placed under the Kingdom Microsynthera, of the Phylum Plasticae. Occlupanids share phylum Plasticae with “45” record holders, plastic juice caps, and other often ignored small plastic objects.

Latest posts