Line suggestions

Avidone1

Hi. Newb to the forum so Hi. My name is Don and I’m retired living full time in a motor home with my wife. We stay in Florida for the winter but travel the country in Spring -fall fishing and taking in the sites I just picked up last years gloomis 9’ 5wt nrx LP.
I fish mores nymphs than dries and more dries than streamers if that helps. I generally like smaller slower moving streams, think driftless area but I sometimes also fish freestone rivers, Think Yellowstone national park
A very important consideration is a line that is quiet going through the guides. I’m trying to spare the expense of buying a slew of different “quiet” lines and thought I would ask you guys for help getting started
Thanks and tight lines

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Welcome to the best fly fishing site on the web. I also fish small skinny water. They are the most fun in my book. I second what Jake said. If you ever hit Montana there are more smaller water that there are big waters. A good map here is an asset.

Avidone1

He’s I do fish Montana. I have floated the Yellowstone and waded the boulder among others. Any small stream suggestions are greatly appreciate. Oh I’ll be in west Yellowstone Missoula and Livingston this summer Thanks !

Old Man

Just an Old Man
He’s I do fish Montana. I have floated the Yellowstone and waded the boulder among others. Any small stream suggestions are greatly appreciate. Oh I’ll be in west Yellowstone Missoula and Livingston this summer Thanks !
Hit me up then and I'll tell you where they are at. I'll have to do that with a PM or the start a conversation thing. Saying PM is shorter that the other thing.

chief

Hi. Newb to the forum so Hi. My name is Don and I’m retired living full time in a motor home with my wife. We stay in Florida for the winter but travel the country in Spring -fall fishing and taking in the sites I just picked up last years gloomis 9’ 5wt nrx LP.
I fish mores nymphs than dries and more dries than streamers if that helps. I generally like smaller slower moving streams, think driftless area but I sometimes also fish freestone rivers, Think Yellowstone national park
A very important consideration is a line that is quiet going through the guides. I’m trying to spare the expense of buying a slew of different “quiet” lines and thought I would ask you guys for help getting started
Thanks and tight lines
Orvis has their Hydros lines on sale for $29.

Mark Koch

Talk to the "local" shop. Find out what they have spooled up, ask when the SA or Rio or Airflo rep will be in the area, most have lots of lines spooled up to test cast. This summer the SA rep had a test cast day in our area. Great way to try out different lines.

Most people I have met fly fishing over the years have been more than willing to let you cast whatever is on their reel with your rod.

My point is try the most number of lines you can and you will find the right line for that rod for you.

When shops are willing to help customers make informed choices, help that shop by buying "local".

Avidone1

Hit me up then and I'll tell you where they are at. I'll have to do that with a PM or the start a conversation thing. Saying PM is shorter that the other thing.
Thanks a lot old man Lol. I’ll bet I’m older than you ! I’ll be arriving in Missoula on July 1 for two weeks. Then west Yellowstone for another two weeks and Livingston for all of August I’ll figure the pm thing out and drop you a line Thanks again

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Thanks a lot old man Lol. I’ll bet I’m older than you ! I’ll be arriving in Missoula on July 1 for two weeks. Then west Yellowstone for another two weeks and Livingston for all of August I’ll figure the pm thing out and drop you a line Thanks again
Compared to me your still a youngster. I'm 84 now and will turn 85 in March.

Avidone1

Talk to the "local" shop. Find out what they have spooled up, ask when the SA or Rio or Airflo rep will be in the area, most have lots of lines spooled up to test cast. This summer the SA rep had a test cast day in our area. Great way to try out different lines.

Most people I have met fly fishing over the years have been more than willing to let you cast whatever is on their reel with your rod.

My point is try the most number of lines you can and you will find the right line for that rod for you.

When shops are willing to help customers make informed choices, help that shop by buying "local".
I like your idea but there is no local shop lol.

Richard E

Thanks and tight lines
Jake wrote "It’d be hard to do much better than the Scientific Anglers MPX. I believe they make a smooth version (mastery?)"

He is right on the money, so to speak. The MPX is a marvelous all-around line, replacing the venerable GPX. The MPX comes in a smooth version.

I've owned the rod you own and, in my opinion, the MPX would be a wonderful choice for your rod and your fishing style preferences.

Latest posts