Another UV light thread!

Mark Walker

FWIW, I used Loon UV cement and an inexpensive 12 bulb UV light off eBay to repair a broken plastic fire extinguisher holder. Worked like magic and supported the full weight of the extinguisher!:)

Jamie Wilson

WFF Supporter
I had some Solarez Bone Dry that was getting lumpy. 5 seconds in the microwave - CAP OFF - did the trick

BN2FSH

I read often about folks using these cheap lights and that they work just fine. My experience has been the complete opposite. I've never found a cheap light that worked for me.

Not saying they don't work, but I personally have never found one I'm happy with.

I've used a whole bunch of different lights and without a doubt my favorite is the Loon Infiniti light. Not cheap, but its rechargeable and has way more power than anything I've used
I agree. In my experience they don't work well or work for only a short time before they end up in the trash. I use the Loon infinity light as well.

gt

Super glue and zap-a-gap are cyanoacrylates.

UV resins can accomplish things cyanoacrylates can't.

Both have overlapping properties useful in fly tying but they excel at different things.
my only goal in fly tying is to secure the materials quickly and easily with products that are easy to use and not complicated. i would rather spend my time creatively modifying patterns that are pleasing to my eye, and hopefully fish, than screwing around with various adhesives.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
my only goal in fly tying is to secure the materials quickly and easily with products that are easy to use and not complicated. i would rather spend my time creatively modifying patterns that are pleasing to my eye, and hopefully fish, than screwing around with various adhesives.

Uv resins are not simply adhesives. That's the point. You may not use them, and that's fine, but there are a ton of things you can do with resins that you simply cant do with glue.

I've never seen an entire head or body built up with super glue. Easy as hell with UV resin.

Its certainly possible to get by without using them, but you're never gonna tie a Surf Candy or an epoxy head bait fish pattern with super glue.

gt

Uv resins are not simply adhesives. That's the point. You may not use them, and that's fine, but there are a ton of things you can do with resins that you simply cant do with glue.

I've never seen an entire head or body built up with super glue. Easy as hell with UV resin.

Its certainly possible to get by without using them, but you're never gonna tie a Surf Candy or an epoxy head bait fish pattern with super glue.
i do use epoxy on flies at times along with a spinner to allow the drying to be even. that said, examine any classic Atlantic salmon fly and the head that is created. no UV product necessary and thats my point.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
i do use epoxy on flies at times along with a spinner to allow the drying to be even. that said, examine any classic Atlantic salmon fly and the head that is created. no UV product necessary and thats my point.

Lol You claim that you'd " rather spend my time creatively modifying patterns that are pleasing to my eye, and hopefully fish, than screwing around with various adhesives" then say that you use epoxies.

UV resins are so much faster and easier than any epoxy out there.

And when I talk about heads, I am not talking about covering thread wraps with glue. I'm talking about adhesive eyes covered in resin that is built up to create an actual head of a baitfish.

Novody is claiming UV resins are necessary, but like it not they are extremely useful and much easier than epoxy Use what you want, I couldn't care less. But your attitude about it comes off as nothing more than silly.

gt

Lol You claim that you'd " rather spend my time creatively modifying patterns that are pleasing to my eye, and hopefully fish, than screwing around with various adhesives" then say that you use epoxies.

UV resins are so much faster and easier than any epoxy out there.

And when I talk about heads, I am not talking about covering thread wraps with glue. I'm talking about adhesive eyes covered in resin that is built up to create an actual head of a baitfish.

Novody is claiming UV resins are necessary, but like it not they are extremely useful and much easier than epoxy Use what you want, I couldn't care less. But your attitude about it comes off as nothing more than silly.
my 'attitude' is simple is best. hardware store epoxy and a spinner make those flies quite easy. no need for a fancy lite or expensive stuff from a fly shop. have only been doing this for 60 years and going so what do i know anyway...

Jamie Wilson

WFF Supporter
Just a heads up
I’m on the Solarez FB group- I just lurk and like- don’t post flies. They come up with some pretty cool stuff. Take a look when you have time

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
my 'attitude' is simple is best. hardware store epoxy and a spinner make those flies quite easy. no need for a fancy lite or expensive stuff from a fly shop. have only been doing this for 60 years and going so what do i know anyway...

Yep it's cool to be stuck in your ways. But dont fool yourself into thinking its easier. If you opened your mind to new possibilities you may discover that UV resins are a hundred times faster and easier than epoxy.

Doing something for 60 years does not make it the best way. By all means do things however you like, but posting about things you are 100% ignorant about makes you look quite silly.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock