Another UV light thread!

gt

Yep it's cool to be stuck in your ways. But dont fool yourself into thinking its easier. If you opened your mind to new possibilities you may discover that UV resins are a hundred times faster and easier than epoxy.

Doing something for 60 years does not make it the best way. By all means do things however you like, but posting about things you are 100% ignorant about makes you look quite silly.
never had any problem with epoxy so why add something different to the tying desk?? i believe in learning about tying, that is why i took a 3 day course in Atlantic salmon fly tying, made me a far better overall fly guy. so adding some other adhesive does not do much for my tying, i don't think, anyway.

but you know, i will check in with my local fly shop, waters west, and ask about this just so i fill out another hole in my knowledge.

Adam Saarinen

Ok! I can tell you all now that i tied some surf candies yesturday & i'm not happy with that cheap Chinese light! Got what i payed for, Lucky it wasn't much! They felt a little bit tacky with Gulff UV resin, so i put them in Laura's UV finger nails oven to cook them! Have to find a better light! I heard a long time ago the light dentist's use would be the best, but where to get one on the cheap? They would probably make Loon dry tack free!?!

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
never had any problem with epoxy so why add something different to the tying desk?? i believe in learning about tying, that is why i took a 3 day course in Atlantic salmon fly tying, made me a far better overall fly guy. so adding some other adhesive does not do much for my tying, i don't think, anyway.

but you know, i will check in with my local fly shop, waters west, and ask about this just so i fill out another hole in my knowledge.

UV resins work like the older epoxies you have used for so long, only there is no dry time. Hit it with the light for a few seconds and its cured. Very quick and very easy.

I really do recommend trying them sometime. They are super fun and save a ton of time and frustration at the vise

jwg

Ok! I can tell you all now that i tied some surf candies yesturday & i'm not happy with that cheap Chinese light! Got what i payed for, Lucky it wasn't much! They felt a little bit tacky with Gulff UV resin, so i put them in Laura's UV finger nails oven to cook them! Have to find a better light! I heard a long time ago the light dentist's use would be the best, but where to get one on the cheap? They would probably make Loon dry tack free!?!
Tell us more about the UV fingernail oven!
Did you get the tack free result you want?

I have a loon light that still works at the bench, but ideally I follow through with a final exposure outside in direct sun.

Jay

gt

UV resins work like the older epoxies you have used for so long, only there is no dry time. Hit it with the light for a few seconds and its cured. Very quick and very easy.

I really do recommend trying them sometime. They are super fun and save a ton of time and frustration at the vise
seems to me i used something called 'UV knot sense' or something like that where you applied this stuff and let the sun hit it to do the curing. is this similar to what you are doing??

and i agree, without a turning device, working with epoxy is virtually impossible.

Last edited:

Buzzy

seems to me i used something called 'UV knot sense' or something like that where you applied this stuff and let the sun hit it to do the curing. is this similar to what you are doing??

and i agree, without a turning device, working with epoxy is virtually impossible.
Knot Sense does require sunlight or UV to cure. I think, GT, since you're tying more traditional "Atlantic" salmon flies (steelhead flies), that UV isn't something you'd necessarily need. Head cement on the nice, neat head. But the kind of flies Nick's tying for saltwater fishing - UV is a huge benefit. I love UV resins and rarely find a need for head cement anymore but, big BUT: There's no steelhead fishing anywhere near me anymore so I don't tie steelhead flies anymore. I do travel to fish Hood Canal from time to time and really have fun experimenting with SRC/coho patterns with UV resins.

Adam Saarinen

Tell us more about the UV fingernail oven!
Did you get the tack free result you want?

I have a loon light that still works at the bench, but ideally I follow through with a final exposure outside in direct sun.

Jay
sketch-1576856821428.png This is Laura's UV fingernail oven, she puts her hand in there sometimes to dry nailpolish. Probably came from China?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info