WTB Vest, 5wt, gear for a 6 year old son

tallguy

So my son and part time fishing buddy is now 6 and a 1/2, and I am looking for some used gear for him. Looking to make sure he becomes my full time fishing buddy one day. Anyone got any gear their kids have outgrown or don't use so I can set him up a little? Something that will work for the next couple of years?

He loves my fly fishing vest and wants one of his own, so thats what I really want to find. I'm also looking for a 5wt, likely something of 8' or 8.5' length, and appropriate for a first fly rod gift. Open to other suggestions/advice too.

PM me. Thanks.

Jake

(not really a sea otter)
I've got a medium-action 9' 5wt rod and reel (with line on it) I'll send you if you'll reimburse shipping.

I'm teaching my 4 and 7 year old sons, but I'm teaching them with 9' rods. Modern rods are so lightweight I haven't seen a reason for teaching them on a shorter one (and then have them have to change up their cadence when I hand them a 9'+ for fishing the salt).

Last edited:

john gates

Vw Bus driving(68) God Fearing Adventure Seeker
To me it's a matter of leverage being less with a shorter rod on the little ones body and ability to load the rod easier by flexing easier. But that's just my thoughts what works works. As an adult I find many reasons to fish shorter rods. Anyway is there a right way? I doubt it.

tallguy

To clarify, I am definitely willing to pay fair market value, shipping, etc. Mostly just trying to look for used/outgrown/not loved enough gear before I buy anything new, especially for kids sized items.

Last edited:

Richard E

So my son and part time fishing buddy is now 6 and a 1/2, and I am looking for some used gear for him. Looking to make sure he becomes my full time fishing buddy one day. Anyone got any gear their kids have outgrown or don't use so I can set him up a little? Something that will work for the next couple of years?

He loves my fly fishing vest and wants one of his own, so thats what I really want to find. I'm also looking for a 5wt, likely something of 8' or 8.5' length, and appropriate for a first fly rod gift. Open to other suggestions/advice too.

PM me. Thanks.
Did you get waders and boots for him?

Northern

It's all good.
I have not. I was going to wait until he was a little older and a better/proficient swimmer before I gave him that capability.. is that a bad idea?
No, I agree with you on that. If conditions aren't appropriate for wet wading (low water, warmer temps) I wouldn't have a 45 lb kid wading!

Richard E

I have not. I was going to wait until he was a little older and a better/proficient swimmer before I gave him that capability.. is that a bad idea?
To me, it is. For most kids, it's all about fun, and comfort is a huge part of that. Waders, as you know, are critical when fly fishing for comfort. You want him to stay interested in fishing with you. He also probably looks to your lead on a lot of things, and if you're wearing waders and he's not, he'll notice. Most waders have a built-in belt, so the swimming thing, to me is a non-issue. Plus, if he falls in and the water is cold, the waters will help minimize the cold shock.

To me there are many more reasons to get him waders than not.

Phil Fravel

Friendly
I started teaching my son also to cast around the age of 8. He also started with a 9' 5 weight sage launch. It did not take me long to realise he did not have the arm strength to cast that rod that long that well. So I taught him to double haul at the same time. He caught on great. Best fishing buddie a Dad could have 15 years later.

That said my buddie started his daughter on a 3 wt. 7'6". It worked out great for both. She learned to cast and Dad got to buy a 3wt

Attachments

Last edited:

Joebe

Please PM me your address. I have a shorty fly vest I would love to donate for the cause. I know that you said you were willing to pay for it but it would be my pleasure to send it to you. It was my late father's he loved to fish and loved kids. I know it would put a big smile on his face to know it went to be a kids first vest.

tallguy

Thanks for all of the kind offers and advice generated by this thread. Picked up a 3 wt from Mark today that wasn't getting enough love, so I think I have the rod part figured out.

Still have my eyes out for a kid sized fishing vest if there's one floating around out there..

Latest posts