NFR: Snow on the frozen tundra

IveofIone

At least it waited until December. It snowed about 3'' Sunday night, snowed more last night and there is a 90% chance of snow today. The 15 day forecast shows 10 snow days and 3 rain days. I guess it's safe to say it is on. I made the first trip of the season across the pass yesterday on icy roads. The new Subaru with All Terrain tires was confidence inspiring and appears that it will be a wonderful winter car.

I'll be getting some help with my driveway this winter, it is about 1/4 mile long and can take me 2-3 hours to plow depending on snow depth and consistency. A local contractor has a $65,000 snow blower on a treaded Bobcat that can open my road up to about 16' wide in 20 minutes. At $75 a pop it's a no brainer, writing a check is much easier than what I have been doing.

We have been having a hard freeze with temps down to around 10 with virtually no snow on the ground. This is usually a harbinger of a low insect year next season. In addition local lakes are frozen and I saw a guy ice fishing yesterday on the only lake around here that is open all year.

Not much to do now but wait for the March 1st lowland lakes opener.......:(

Old Man

Just an Old Man
At least it waited until December. It snowed about 3'' Sunday night, snowed more last night and there is a 90% chance of snow today. The 15 day forecast shows 10 snow days and 3 rain days. I guess it's safe to say it is on. I made the first trip of the season across the pass yesterday on icy roads. The new Subaru with All Terrain tires was confidence inspiring and appears that it will be a wonderful winter car.

I'll be getting some help with my driveway this winter, it is about 1/4 mile long and can take me 2-3 hours to plow depending on snow depth and consistency. A local contractor has a $65,000 snow blower on a treaded Bobcat that can open my road up to about 16' wide in 20 minutes. At $75 a pop it's a no brainer, writing a check is much easier than what I have been doing.

We have been having a hard freeze with temps down to around 10 with virtually no snow on the ground. This is usually a harbinger of a low insect year next season. In addition local lakes are frozen and I saw a guy ice fishing yesterday on the only lake around here that is open all year.

It started snowing the day before Thanksgiving and snowed for 3 days since. The flakes are small so it takes a few days of snowing to give us 6 inches of powder. And yes, it was very cold here. Had 2 days of minus in the morning. So far minus 13 has been our low.

But the last 3 days have been somewhat mild. If you can call 35 mild. It actually got up to 41 yesterday. Heat wave. That makes all the snow evaporate. Yes, it does that. It just doesn't melt like wet snow does. And the sun is shining today.

triploidjunkie

I went fishing yesterday. Probably going again today. I feel bad for you Northerners.

Buzzy

Ive -
Great idea to have a contractor blow out your driveway this winter! Stay warm! Looking forward to March (let's hope for early ice off).

Pat

SilverFly

Heat wave. That makes all the snow evaporate. Yes, it does that. It just doesn't melt like wet snow does. And the sun is shining today.
You are correct Jim. The evaporation of a solid directly to a gas is called sublimation. Same thing happens on the surface of Pluto when frozen nitrogen snow evaporates. Pluto in 'summer' ... Montana in winter ... is there any real difference? ;)

Greg Armstrong

View attachment 219015
5000 ‘ elevation in Central Sierra last Saturday. Almost 5’ @ 7000’. Two more storms lined up for this week. Good start.
That storm skirted our coast and went south to where you are, leaving us unusually dry and cold for a few days last week. SeaTac just recorded the 4th driest November on record.

A lot of winter ahead to make up for it, but you got our snow - and we want it back!!!

Krusty

You are correct Jim. The evaporation of a solid directly to a gas is called sublimation. Same thing happens on the surface of Pluto when frozen nitrogen snow evaporates. Pluto in 'summer' ... Montana in winter ... is there any real difference? ;)
So...my farts are simply sublimated food and beer?

And it's probably easier to find good paying work on Pluto than Montana.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
If you think reading about 'em is bad, pity poor Mrs. Krusty enjoying the real thing without a cyberspace olfactory barrier.
I'm still reading about Krusty's farts at lunchtime. Jesus. How he pulls his wife into his miasmatic orbit. I would submit this is some kind of abuse. I suppose Ive hasn't complained, and it's his thread, so maybe one of us enjoys Krusty's Tales from the flatus crypt.

Latest posts