Favorite 9ft 5wt dry fly rod?

Bigfatrod

As I have been chasing steelies for the last many years, I'm totally out of the loop on trout and it will be fun to get back to my roots as a fly angler.

These threads are always tricky because ultimately, I realize I need to get out and cast some rods. But here are some criteria I'm looking for in a 9ft 5wt:

--Great, accurate presentation rod, dry fly specific. Accuracy more important than distance.
--Take price out of the equation but would also love to hear about some "best bang for the buck" rods
--4 piece preferred

Also--if anyone has a sweet 9ft 5wt they wouldn't mind parting with, please feel free to send PM!

Cheers,
BFR

prmike307

As I have been chasing steelies for the last many years, I'm totally out of the loop on trout and it will be fun to get back to my roots as a fly angler.

These threads are always tricky because ultimately, I realize I need to get out and cast some rods. But here are some criteria I'm looking for in a 9ft 5wt:

--Great, accurate presentation rod, dry fly specific. Accuracy more important than distance.
--Take price out of the equation but would also love to hear about some "best bang for the buck" rods
--4 piece preferred

Also--if anyone has a sweet 9ft 5wt they wouldn't mind parting with, please feel free to send PM!

Cheers,
BFR
Since you asked, I have a new never fished Winston B3X Biiix 9' 5wt in the classifieds. PM if interested.

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
This new Echo Euro Nymph rod in 3 wt is good for trout. At least it casts well. Been skunked both times I'm out since I got it in late Sept

castsN2trees

The fish are calling.....
WFF Supporter
Winston B3X, it's so smooth and fun to toss a dry on.
I agree with Kfish, the Winston BIIIX is about as sweet is it gets for a 9' 5wt....if you want something with more backbone, Scott Radian and G Loomis Asquith have extra punch...and a Sage VXP is an older rod, but a good casting rod that you can get a deal on if you run across one...

Bonsai

Jerry
Dry fly fishing for trout, try a good 7 1/2 to 8 foot bamboo fly rod. Wont reach the distance a graphite rod will but it will be a accurate as you are and sweet to cast. If you are going to spend 8 or 9 hundred dollars on a Sage or Winston look around for nice older bamboo rod for 3 to 6 hundred dollars. Am I going to stir up some nonsense?

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I agree with Kfish, the Winston BIIIX is about as sweet is it gets for a 9' 5wt....if you want something with more backbone, Scott Radian and G Loomis Asquith have extra punch...and a Sage VXP is an older rod, but a good casting rod that you can get a deal on if you run across one...
Agreed, Radian is a better rod when you're throwing something heavier than a conehead bugger. Radian is very light and sensitive.

camtheflyman

not sponsored
WFF Supporter
I currently have two 9' 5 weights, a Radian and last year's NRX LP. If I'm just fishing dries the NRX would take the cake. Radian can throw a big chubby and a weighted Pat's Rubber Legs no problem though, arguably better than the NRX. The NRX is soft enough that I can fish 6x without sweating it though, not saying the radian can't but you would need to proceed with caution

pond monkey

--4 piece preferred

Cheers,
BFR
Take a look at Remington “Classic Trout.”......

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts