Favorite 9ft 5wt dry fly rod?

Zak

I only have one 5wt and it's been getting some use in the Sound. It's a TFO Jim Teeny 9ft with a fighting butt and I didn't like it at all until I overlined it with 6WF, now I love it.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I usually use 4 weights these days, but this past weekend was the start of the trout season in Wisconsin. I wanted to toss some conehead wooley buggers, so took my Hardy Zenith 9' 5 weight. I had received good advice on the right line for this rod (Rio Gold) and it cast both those big streamers and smaller nymphs like a dream, at least until the guides iced up, which happened every 5 or 6 casts.

But it is really made for dry flies, and works spectacularly for that. I think it won the Yellowstone Anglers 5 weight shootout several years ago.

Kilgore

Sage Circa 589, IMHO, is really sweet casting.
A vastly underrated dry fly rod! The sweetest, straightest-casting dry fly rod I've ever used. The downside comes after you hook a "hog" that has some fast water to race into. Then, you will be reminded of the Circa's skinny butt section. :)

Varanzo

I usually use 4 weights these days, but this past weekend was the start of the trout season in Wisconsin. I wanted to toss some conehead wooley buggers, so took my Hardy Zenith 9' 5 weight. I had received good advice on the right line for this rod (Rio Gold) and it cast both those big streamers and smaller nymphs like a dream, at least until the guides iced up, which happened every 5 or 6 casts.

But it is really made for dry flies, and works spectacularly for that. I think it won the Yellowstone Anglers 5 weight shootout several years ago.
What is Rio Gold weight on your 5wt Zenith? Is it 6wt?

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
What is Rio Gold weight on your 5wt Zenith? Is it 6wt?
No, I use the 5-wt line. Since Rio Gold is already a half line weight (or maybe a bit more) heavy, I didn't feel I needed to overline it more than that. As it is, the rod casts great (for me) with a 5-weight Rio Gold.

Varanzo

No, I use the 5-wt line. Since Rio Gold is already a half line weight (or maybe a bit more) heavy, I didn't feel I needed to overline it more than that. As it is, the rod casts great (for me) with a 5-weight Rio Gold.
I have Rio Gold 6wt.
But my rod is Hardy Demon 9ft 5wt and it is heavier than you Zenith. Your Zenith is much better rod.

I wish I knew that Rio is not true to weight. I will ask more questions when buying next line from Rio or Orvis.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I have Rio Gold 6wt.
But my rod is Hardy Demon 9ft 5wt and it is heavier than you Zenith. Your Zenith is much better rod.

I wish I knew that Rio is not true to weight. I will ask more questions when buying next line from Rio or Orvis.
You'll find several other lines similarly "untrue" to weight. Sometimes the fly line web sites will tell you this, sometimes only will give the grain weight, and you have to compare against the AFTMA standards for line weight.

For even more fun, get a cheapo gram scale and weigh out the first 30' of line and see where your current lines sit. I got hold of 10 unknown lines and had to do this to figure out what weight they were!

dragless

Depends on your casting style. I throw pretty hard and fast and like to dry my fly with one back cast, so Sage Method and Hardy Wraith do it for me.
The Hardy Zephrus is awesome too.If you swing lighter and are more relaxed then the Winston rods are nice. TNT Avantt was very nice too but it is a strong rod like Hardy and Sage Method.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
I have a Redington Vice that I enjoy, but it is a little stiff on small fish like 12"ers or less.
For most of my little blue line fishing I like my 7'6" 3wt Scott rod

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts