dyeing feathers

Bob Newman

i would check in with folks who do an A+ job of dying materials. Dave at Waters West comes to mind as an individual who has this talent down pat. it is way harder than it appears to get vibrant colors that don't wash off. i think the master of all time was Dave McNeese who attacked whatever with a passion that produced brilliant colors.
McNeese still dyes feathers and furs, just don't know if he sells anymore.

Tim Ihle

i would check in with folks who do an A+ job of dying materials. Dave at Waters West comes to mind as an individual who has this talent down pat. it is way harder than it appears to get vibrant colors that don't wash off. i think the master of all time was Dave McNeese who attacked whatever with a passion that produced brilliant colors.
..was Dave McNeese? Still IS Dave McNeese! He’s not dead.

gt

..was Dave McNeese? Still IS Dave McNeese! He’s not dead.
Dave is still alive but banned for life from all things fishing because of a conviction regarding unregistered polar bear pelts. lost his shop and everything in it decades ago. turned to butterfly collecting last i heard. his talent spawned a couple of current contemporaries, Shewy and Hogan to name a couple. his talents in creating beautiful and unique fly patterns was amazing and sitting watching him was quite a lesson in watching beauty being created. i miss his talents and his personality, both quite unique.

Tim Ihle

Dave is still alive but banned for life from all things fishing because of a conviction regarding unregistered polar bear pelts. lost his shop and everything in it decades ago. turned to butterfly collecting last i heard. his talent spawned a couple of current contemporaries, Shewy and Hogan to name a couple. his talents in creating beautiful and unique fly patterns was amazing and sitting watching him was quite a lesson in watching beauty being created. i miss his talents and his personality, both quite unique.
Well,....hes not banned from EVERYTHIN...or is he?

JamesRPL+

Used A koolaid method I found on you tube. The most amazing yellow for the sallys.on the coastal rivers.no muss or fuss

gt

Well,....hes not banned from EVERYTHIN...or is he?
have not kept up with this since moving to WA do i can't answer that. we used to live 8 blocks from his shop so i saw him quite frequently as it was a great place to hang out and learn.

MD

WFF Supporter
I’ve found cherry kool aid to make a nice vibrant red. The picture shows turkey and mallard. I’ve also used it on grizzly hackle, rabbit and deer hair. BB1E0D05-1655-4609-BFEC-97B5E2051E6F.jpeg

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock