Net for Spring Creeks

Dan Glynn

What does everyone recommend for a longer handle net for walking spring creeks? We have quite a few spring creeks in the Driftless Area where a net with a longer handle would come in handy since there is 2-4 feet drop to the water from the bank. I was looking at several of the Nomad nets like the El Jefe, El jefe grande, mid length boat net, or the guide net. Are these too long for walk and wading (99% walking). I'm 6'3'' if it matters. I have a hand net for brook trout streams.

Jakob B

Washington Native and college age angler
10/10 recommend the Nomad nets. The Nomad Guide net seems to best fit what you need. It has the reasonably large bag size but the extra long handle which is what you need. The boat net and El Jefe have bigger bag sizes which would not be necessary for what you are doing and may get in the way. Grab an end cap for your net and you can feel comfortable using your net to stabilize yourself as you are spotting trout without dinging up the end of your handle. Hope this helps.

Jakob

Dan Glynn

Is the Grande El Jefe considerably larger? It seems like it's still small enough to carry. I do run into a few 20+'' browns each year.

Jakob B

Washington Native and college age angler
Is the Grande El Jefe considerably larger? It seems like it's still small enough to carry. I do run into a few 20+'' browns each year.
I have netted many large bull trout in the mid length net which has the same bag size as the guide net. The one I recommended. If you are worried about not having a large enough hoop or bag the grande el jefe or boat net would suffice but in my opinion may be a little large or my get in the way.

Jakob

Mark Koch

This the net I use all the time to fish The Driftless. I have the magnet kind of on the side of the hoop so in hangs across my back. This places the handle right on my left hip, easy to grab with my left and you are in business.

They also make a good wading staff, kayak boat net and flask.

Swing by Driftless Angler, Mat had some in stock.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Whatever you buy, just make sure the bag is deep enough for the size fish you plan to catch....and possibly beyond that size.
Nothing worse then a net with a super shallow bag that acts like a fish trampoline.
SF

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
I've been using a Measure Net for the last three years. The handle telescopes and the deep rubberized bag is relatively tangle-free. I can set the handle tension from locked solidly to free-sliding. Things start getting dicey when the fish are 22 inches and up. Sadly, I don't have that problem very often. I'm not sure what model I have but the bag measures fish to 28”.

Vandelay Industries

A wholly owned subsidiary of Kramerica Industries
I've been using a Measure Net for the last three years. The handle telescopes and the deep rubberized bag is relatively tangle-free. I can set the handle tension from locked solidly to free-sliding. Things start getting dicey when the fish are 22 inches and up. Sadly, I don't have that problem very often. I'm not sure what model I have but the bag measures fish to 28”.
I believe that the bag that measures fish to 28" is the Large net model.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock