Patagonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt

Have you given to one of the many, many conservation groups sponsored by Patagonia?? they are matching your donation dollar for dollar until they reach their self imposed limit of $10,000,000, yikes. check it out and pick an organization you appreciate and give a bit. this is running through the end of this month so don't wait too long.

ribka

Have you given to one of the many, many conservation groups sponsored by Patagonia?? they are matching your donation dollar for dollar until they reach their self imposed limit of $10,000,000, yikes. check it out and pick an organization you appreciate and give a bit. this is running through the end of this month so don't wait too long.
Patagonia donates money to anti hunting groups. Much better conservation groups to donate money to directly. The uneducated Keep buying into the Patagonia hype, virtue signaling and Chinese slave labor clothing company

Guy Gregory

Thanks for the heads up, gt.

The Patagonia board gets to choose which causes Patagonia supports, and which it does not. Just like you. And me.

Cruik

WFF Supporter
Seconded: thanks for the heads-up.

Sorry to all for taking the bait, but I think calling conservation groups "anti-hunting" is painting with a wide brush. I don't think the hunting community is any more cohesive about its ideals of conservation or "sport" than the angling community (we're not). I know canned hunts and predator-management hunting are frequently under fire politically and I don't think it's appropriate to label organizations "anti-hunting" for finding those or other specific practices inconsistent with conservation goals. I've also seen the argument that organizations which oppose logging are "anti-hunting" since clear-cuts provide ungulate habitat and are conducive to hunting.

Strudie

Nice avatar Ribka. I’m sure it’s a nod to Greta being the Time Magazine person of the year! Congrats! She’s pretty impressive.
Yes, she is impressive, but I don’t know if we should be congratulating her right now. I make this comment, because she has a disability, Asperger Syndrome (AS), and what we know about this disability is causing a concern amongst some of my professional colleagues who are speech-language pathologists. My posting here is not meant to be political, but rather to explain where our concerns lie and give pause.

Some needed background here to understand this ability and the label … The “bible” for diagnosing mental health disorders is the Diagnostic & Statistical Manuel of Mental Health (DSM) by the American Psychiatric Association. It is tied to the medical billing code (ICD-10). In 1994, the DCM-IV had a category named Pervasive Developmental Disorder. Autistic Disorder and Asperger Disorder were listed as two separate labels. In 2013, the DSM was updated. In the DSM-5, there is just one umbrella label—Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) with 3 severity levels (severe/very low functioning, moderate/severe, mild/high functioning). They added a separate category: Social (pragmatic) Communication Disorder (SCD) for those who didn’t fit the ASD label. These labels change come with concerns. One is that ASD is too narrow and some will go undiagnosed. A second concern is that there is a difference between an individual with high functioning autism (HFA) and an individual with AS. Important to note the differences …

HFA & AS … both view people as objects. Simon Baron-Cohen (1995) uses the term mindblindness. “It’s the battle to discern their own emotion, let alone read others.” In other words, “they don’t realize their behavior affects others.” They are unable or have great difficulty taking the perspective of others (Theory of Mind).

HFA individuals are very visual with language difficulties whereas AS individuals have very strong verbal skills.

Individuals with AS are at or above normal intelligence. They understand expository, nonfiction books better than narratives or fiction books. They tend to want to fit in and interact with others, but fail because of their social cognitive deficits. They tend to talk only what interest them and to misread the visual social cues that come naturally to us. Peers see them as rude, self-centered, and weird. In kindergarten, they are already on the periphery during recess—play is very difficult for the rules change and they’re at a loss. Starting around 4th-5th grade, we see them talking and engaging less with peers which can lead to depression, increase risk for suicidal thoughts, anger and aggression, behavioral challenges, and social avoidance. Prevalence of these mental health issues has been put as low as 10% to as high as 37+%. In a 2008 parent survey (114 children age 10-17 on the spectrum), 70% reported at least one psychiatric disorder with their child.

Compared to boys, girls tend to show a higher social motivation and greater capacity for friendship. Because they want to fit in, they try to camouflage they have a social problem, and thus, they internalize their emotions that can result in anxiety, depression, eating disorders, or self-harm. They are also at risk for bullying, being exploited, and sexual assault. (Volkers, Nancy. “Invisible Girls.” ASHA Leader 23 April 2018). With Greta, the concern is that she is being exploited because of her good verbal skills. In her own words, she talks about having no friends, sitting home alone, and having an eating disorder—signs of a mental health issue. But her climate action campaign has changed all that. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/02/greta-thunberg-responds-to-aspergers-critics-its-a-superpower. Really? Maybe on the surface, but has it really “fixed” the underlying mental health issues? I really hope those who are encouraging her to be a social activist have her well-being at heart. I shudder to think that there might be more harm being done to her by putting her on the world stage than good.

Individuals on the spectrum, including AS, do not handle stress well. She’s being criticized and has made gaffs. She recently commented she needed a rest. Yes, she does. But when she returns to the limelight, it will still be a tough world out there. The stress will be there. Why some of my professional colleagues who work with AS have concerns. I wish her the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock