The Fly Fishing World Championship in Tasmania just ended...

Ricardo

... and France won the gold medal, with the Czech Republic second and Spain third. It was a very disputed tournament until the very last day, with only 1 point difference between the the first three teams. The US was 6th.

On individuals, the Englishman Howard Croston won the gold medal, the Spanish David Garcia got the silver medal, and the Slovakian Kristian Sveda got the bronze. The first US team member was Josh Graffam, 6th.

You can check all the results here: https://www.wffc2019.com/latest-results/ . Also, there is a 45 min video that the organization released for the controllers (the refs) that explain many interesting things on how to apply the rules. It is long, but quite recommendable if you ever wondered how the fishing championships work. https://www.wffc2019.com/rules/

kmudgn

Personally, I think fly fishing competitions are useless. "Acumen and skill" in fly fishing is not something that can really be measured in a contest. Unfortunately, the fish have much input into the results and the catching of same is more a coincidence of the fish being in the right place at the right time rather than the alleged "skill" of the fisher. Yes, you can decide the winner of a casting contest by finding the person who can put a fly into a teacup at 100 yards, but what does that measure? It only shows you which person is a competent caster, but says nothing about his/her skill at the sport other than mechanics. Although anecdotal, I have seen great caster get skunked at the same time a 8 year old kid who is a first time fly fisher gets an 18" Brown. Fly fishing is a "Zen" pursuit and those who really are "good" fly fishers understand that.

Just my humble opinion, but the only competition in fly fishing is with yourself.

silvercreek

WFF Supporter
Personally, I think fly fishing competitions are useless. "Acumen and skill" in fly fishing is not something that can really be measured in a contest. Unfortunately, the fish have much input into the results and the catching of same is more a coincidence of the fish being in the right place at the right time rather than the alleged "skill" of the fisher. Yes, you can decide the winner of a casting contest by finding the person who can put a fly into a teacup at 100 yards, but what does that measure? It only shows you which person is a competent caster, but says nothing about his/her skill at the sport other than mechanics. Although anecdotal, I have seen great caster get skunked at the same time a 8 year old kid who is a first time fly fisher gets an 18" Brown. Fly fishing is a "Zen" pursuit and those who really are "good" fly fishers understand that.

Just my humble opinion, but the only competition in fly fishing is with yourself.
There was a Fly Fishing Competition on TV sponsored by Ford many years ago. Perhaps some of you grey beards remember it. It was called something like "The Fly Fishing Games."

Two man teams competed in 4 regional competitions in the USA. The top teams from the 4 regions were then flown to an unknown location to compete with each other in an elimination style tournament.

Want to know which team won? Steve and Tim Rajeff. They not only won, they destroy both the team in the semi final and the team they faced in the finals. So much for casting acumen not mattering in actual fishing.

Here's the other thing about competitions. Did you know that bead head nymphs were developed specifically for competition rules which do not allow added lead to the leader so any weight has to be part of the fly.

If you think "fly fishing competitions are useless," you should throw away your bead head nymphs. Heaven forbid you should use something invented that is "useless".

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
There was a Fly Fishing Competition on TV sponsored by Ford many years ago. Perhaps some of you grey beards remember it. It was called something like "The Fly Fishing Games."

Two man teams competed in 4 regional competitions in the USA. The top teams from the 4 regions were then flown to an unknown location to compete with each other in an elimination style tournament.

Want to know which team won? Steve and Tim Rajeff. They not only won, they destroy both the team in the semi final and the team they faced in the finals. So much for casting acumen not mattering in actual fishing.
Steve and Tim are good casters who also know how to fish.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
Meanwhile 300 miles north of Tasmania, in Bateman's Bay, mullet are falling from the sky on account of aerial tankers bombing bushfires with scooped up estuary water. Large swaths of Australia's coastal forest is burning and summer has yet to start....
1575936521501.png

Last edited:

kmudgn

Actually, I do remember that show (I am a Grey Beard, actually an F.O.G.-last two are old guy!)
I remember the teams rushing around to get their catch measured and that some days all the teams did well, some days no team did well, and other days when one team did much better than the others. Just goes to prove my point: fly fishing competitions are useless!

Reactions: dfl

tkww

If you think "fly fishing competitions are useless," you should throw away your bead head nymphs. Heaven forbid you should use something invented that is "useless".
Lot of extreme things are useless in and of themselves, but benefits trickle down to the masses. Sports cars and car racing come to mind.

silvercreek

WFF Supporter
Lot of extreme things are useless in and of themselves, but benefits trickle down to the masses. Sports cars and car racing come to mind.
Fly fishing techniques, innovations, etc are generally the result of individuals trying to solve or better manage a fly fishing problem. Whether the solution is the result of a talented fly fisher like Joe Humphreys fishing a spring creek in Pennsylvania or the Spanish National Team member who invented the Perdigon Nymph for fishing relatively shallow riffles at a distance does not matter in my eyes. Both aid the fly fisher who is open to new ideas and techniques regardless of their origin.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock