Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Easier Non Slip Loop Knots?

4K views 70 replies 35 participants last post by  Matey 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm using loop knots more and more but have to admit that I struggle with them and take way too much time to achieve a good knot with a small loop
I'll add that at 70, eyesight plays a part in it along with a thumb that I modified in a jointer 25 years ago.

While I was looking for something else this video popped up and looks like something I might try.
(The link I just posted was the wrong one, be right back. :D )
Here's the right one.

Any other suggestions?

#4 ·
Interesting for sure. My non-slip loop knot requires fewer turns and no tools but the loop can be small, medium or way too long. With a lot of practice, warm hands and a tad bigger fly I can generally get the loop tied quickly and it looks "right". Despite @Old Man's "crock of shit" (did you get up on the wrong side of bed, Jim?) ;-) this is one way to ensure small loops.

#11 ·
Like 406 Kid, I too have a modified thumb but am many years older. Having tried the non slip loop many times it seems difficult to get right and I'm never quite satisfied with the result. So I go back to using the Uni knot which I have used successfully for over 40 years. Most instructions for the Uni suggest taking the tag through the loop 5-7 times. Using just 3 passes through the loop has caught thousands of fish for me over the years and has proved more than adequate during that time. The Uni can be regarded as a multiple viscosity loop knot as it can be tied and pulled up tight against the hook eye or left a little open to act as a loop. It is a great knot for tying droppers-think chironomids here-onto the bend of another hook because it can be pulled tight but easily removed.

Obviously the Uni will tighten after hooking a fish and have to be opened slightly again. This has become such a habit with me that I just check the hook after every fish, not a bad habit to get into.

#13 ·
Perfection loop is simplest knot I’ve found. I’ve found the one in the video you posted to be a bit fiddly with cold fingers.

Tying a fly on with the perfection loop even makes it easier to tie. Put the fly in the second loop and use it to pull the whole thing through and complete the knot.

#16 ·
I used to use loop knots. I absolutely refuse to now. Lost too many big fish because of them.

Reactions: Buzzy
#24 ·
My loop knots are larger than I might wish, but I don't think it makes any difference in fish catching.

I hear what others are saying about fly and weed fouling, and I'll pay closer attention in the future, but it hasn't caused concern so far.

I'm going to watch those videos.

J

#28 ·
Agreed. And I wouldn't trust it at all with monofilament. If the tag end isn't long enough, it could come untied. For rope, it's good: however, I believe there to be a reduction to 70% of the line's original breaking strength where that knot is tied.

Reactions: blackbird
#36 ·
I've never had a single fish break a non slip loop knot. Chinook, lingcod, albacore, even halibut. Interesting that others have.

I find it to be super easy to tie.
That surprised me too as any knot to a fly has a loop...unless the hinging/swinging with a big fish on could weaken the loop.
That said, I can see a fish possibly getting off easier due to the additional hinging effect.

#37 · (Edited)
I also use non slip loop knots...about 50% of the time.

I have not had them fail ever on bigger local species (coho, chinook and chum).

That being said, they eat up a lot of material and I am a notorious fly changer. I love to experiment. So, I use them for the first 4 or 5 fly changes and then revert to the good old fashion improved cinch. I am sure loop knots are important in certain situations but I honestly have not noticed a difference in hookup rate in the sound on the different species I fish. Maybe when fishing streamers in heavily pressured rivers? Maybe reall finicky tropical saltwater fish?

#38 ·
I also been on non slip loop knots...about 50% of the time.

I have not had them fail ever on bigger local species (coho, chinook and chum).

That being said, they eat up a lot of material and I am a notorious fly changer. I love to experiment. So, I use them for the first 4 or 5 fly changes and then revert to the good old fashion improved cinch. I am sure loop knots are important in certain situations but I honestly have not noticed a difference in hookup rate in the sound on the different species I fish. Maybe when fishing streamers in heavily pressured rivers? Maybe reall finicky tropical saltwater fish?
I'm the same way, loop knots with my fumble fingers eat up alot of tippet which soon adds the need to tie a second knot.
Blood knots, which I used to tie for everybody, now take me two or three attempts.:(

#39 ·
The strongest, easiest to tie loop knot for me is the Tarpon Loop knot, I really like how the tag end is cinched between the knot so it won't slip. I prefer that knot for when I'm going after fish over 5lbs, otherwise I'll use the perfection loop knot because of how easy it is to tie. It's not as strong but I'm not worried about knot strength when I'm not fighting powerful fish. Also, loop knots give the fly more movement, allowing for full articulation.

#56 ·
Tried this with 5X, first attempt had 3/4" loop. Second attempt where I was careful to grip the overhand loop and fly together between the thumb and forefinger to keep them close together and pull only on the tag downward to tighten I got a 3/8" loop but the tag waste was 6"!
I'm an ace with fly line backing or rope.:D
Me too, and I'm a tightwad so I'll use cheap old Cortland Fairplay mono I have only for practice until I get it dialed.

#51 ·
I've only had a couple of failures with non slip loop knots, but they were all my fault, not the knot itself.

I had one break off on a coho, but I had fished the fly all day and had caught multiple fish.
Between the fish and likely hitting the beach behind me, the loop itself failed right where it would have rested on the hook eye, but the knot was fine. 12 lb Maxima Ultragreen.

The other time was multiple coho using Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon.
It's true, fish really do vanish when you hook up using that shit. The worse leader material I've ever used.......
SF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.