Montana/Idaho in august too hot?

msteudel

Mark Steudel
If you plan to try to make money with your filming make sure you talk to the appropriate agencies for permitting.
Great tips! And it never would’ve occurred to me to think about getting permits. Sounds like Idaho has pretty permissive laws and Montana has a lot more laws. More stuff to research.

SawyerJones

Went on a a trip to Montana in 2016 in August. It was warm, and had an unpredictable lightning storm. The entire area we were in was socked in with wildfire smoke from nearby fires. That really sucked, it killed a lot of the great views GNP has to offer. it cleared up one night and it was the only time in my life I got to see the Northern Lights

Hem

Gallatin Canyon. Site of the infamous evening ...
Enjoying the evening hatch when across the river 5 white suburbans roared in to an access. Fly guys storming the river. Film guys clamoring over the rocks. Beautiful, pointless casts clear across the river to seams just upstream of where I stood, ignored.
It was a blatant and appalling display.
I was so pissed I couldn't speak.

Hem

But to clarify.
The film crew was just being a film crew.
I would wager my last dollar the fishermen were mostly locals and their disregard was what got my goat.
To answer the original question :)...could be hot and smokey, or just hot.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Gallatin Canyon. Site of the infamous evening ...
Enjoying the evening hatch when across the river 5 white suburbans roared in to an access. Fly guys storming the river. Film guys clamoring over the rocks. Beautiful, pointless casts clear across the river to seams just upstream of where I stood, ignored.
It was a blatant and appalling display.
I was so pissed I couldn't speak.
Ug sounds awful. Did you ever find out what they were filming for? No film crew here, just me myself and I. Maybe a friend will come out with me.

Hem

Ug sounds awful. Did you ever find out what they were filming for? No film crew here, just me myself and I. Maybe a friend will come out with me.
Didnt hang around.

It's a crap shoot what the summer will bring with weather. Fishing can slow done some in August when the water temp reaches its highest of the year.

Rock Creek Fan

Montana during the summer is best fished right when the sun hits the water in the morning and for a couple of hours more. Then in the evenings right after the sun stops hitting the water until dark (or later). If you pick a water with high hills on both sides, e.g. Rock Creek, then fishing is from 9-noon and then 6-9+pm lots of dry fly fishing. The dark Caddis hatch in the evenings on Clark Fork is also a lot of fun...

theleo91386

Just a matter of your willingness to explore. Both of those states have places where you can still pockets of snow that time of year. If the water is warm where all the tourists go, go higher.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
In mid-July, there is a higher likelihood of day-time hatches. By August, the hatches are primarily at dusk, especially in the last light. You can still pick up fish on dry flies during the day, but you won't find consistent risers.
Steve
But isn't August the top hopper month throughout most of the region?

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Here is what little I know about fishing MT & ID in July and August.
The fishing is always "HOT"
Now If the weather is really hot then head for the head waters and tail waters
You know what I mean.

Rob Allen

But isn't August the top hopper month throughout most of the region?

sometimes late august but more September,, depends on how long the grass stays green.. you need the only green grass left to be that right along the river, that's what kicks the hopper fishing into high gear.,
that said in general they will work as will attractor dries

Rob Allen

also,, a key Montana tip.. if you see water that looks interesting to you check it out. you'd be surprised what you'll find in just any water you find. don't be afraid to use google earth. lots of great fishing in places no one ever heard of

msteudel

Mark Steudel
also,, a key Montana tip.. if you see water that looks interesting to you check it out. you'd be surprised what you'll find in just any water you find. don't be afraid to use google earth. lots of great fishing in places no one ever heard of
Yeah Im excited to do some exploring.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock