Redington Zero vs Latest Orvis Battenkill (Click Pawl)

Mike22

Looking for a simple reel to put on my 4wt rods. Previously I've been using vintage reels (1494 Medalist, etc.) for my light trout fishing (as I know many of you do), but I have been running into issues with reel foot/reel seat compatibility and spool interchangeability. I'll keep a Medalist around as a loaner, but I figured I'd treat myself this holiday season. I've mainly been looking at the Redington Zero and Orvis Battenkill as they are both simple and reasonably priced. Any thoughts on either of these reels, or something similar?

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
It depends on if you want to stay with the ,more traditional look. The Battenkill has it, that Redington Zero reel does not.

If you want to stick with Redington, the now discontinued “CT” was a great, smooth, finely finished and traditional looking click pawl reel. The Battenkills are nice too.

wetswinger

If you don't mind spending some cash, the new Ross Colorado LT is quite an elegant looking "click style" reel. Unless you want new, there are many high quality classic "Hardy" type reels on e-bay. The new generation Medalist are sweet...

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
I'd go with a Battenkill over a zero. They look much nicer and more traditional. I have a zero, can't say I'm a big fan. Don't like the "drag" or clicker noise, it sounds plasticky, line doesn't wind on the reel tight or even.... just doesn't feel polished.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Looking for a simple reel to put on my 4wt rods. Previously I've been using vintage reels (1494 Medalist, etc.) for my light trout fishing (as I know many of you do), but I have been running into issues with reel foot/reel seat compatibility and spool interchangeability. I'll keep a Medalist around as a loaner, but I figured I'd treat myself this holiday season. I've mainly been looking at the Redington Zero and Orvis Battenkill as they are both simple and reasonably priced. Any thoughts on either of these reels, or something similar?
It depends on if you want to stay with the ,more traditional look. The Battenkill has it, that Redington Zero reel does not. If you want to stick with Redington, the now discontinued “CT” was a great, smooth, finely finished and traditional looking click pawl reel. The Battenkills are nice too.
I have a couple of old Shakespeare click-pawl (appear to be stamped & cast) reels that haven't been fished in many-many years and I also have a cast (MIJ) SA-1 on an old loaner rod. Too bad Redington discontinued the Drift. $99 for a simple but well built fully machined click-pawl reel with a traditional look.
20150613_0002-2.jpg

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Battenkills look nicer for light line stuff, to me. Plus, I have a couple of the older Battenkill Bar Stock reels that have been my light-line reels for the past.....decade almost? And despite the fact that I haven't been easy on them, they have been solid as nails. i realize the new reels aren't the same model, but the pedigree is solid at least.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Have you looked at the Allen Fly reels. I have two of their lighter reels on my 3 wt rods. Cost was reasonable. a few years ago. Probably gone up since then. But I got them for around 40 bucks a pop.

Montucka

Terrapin Station
WFF Supporter
I've been rockin a battenkill II with 4wt line for over a year now and I really like it.. i can honestly see myself using battenkill reels for the rest of my life

DannyS

Love my battenkill. Probably the best bang for your buck out there. I’ve had mine for a couple years and it’s been awesome.

Mike22

I've been rockin a battenkill II with 4wt line for over a year now and I really like it.. i can honestly see myself using battenkill reels for the rest of my life
Love my battenkill. Probably the best bang for your buck out there. I’ve had mine for a couple years and it’s been awesome.

Have either of you messed around with the Battenkill's block mechanism for internally adjusting the drag? Have you noticed any discernible difference when rotating the block's position?

My main hesitation with the Redington Zero is that there are no adjustments, so if I find the "clicker" to provide insufficient drag to keep the line from backlashing then I'm outta luck.

Last edited:

Montucka

Terrapin Station
WFF Supporter
Negative. If no one else has messed with it, I can fart around with mine tonight and let you know in the morning

McFly

McFly
I like the LL Bean Pocketwater reels. I have 2 of them on my 2wt and 4wt rods. Well made, click pawl standard arbor machined reels that balance well on lighter rods. This year Bean changed the name to Double L. Same design but now in a nice brown anodized finish.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock