Fishin buddy 110

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
There's a fishin buddy 110 used for 78.00 on Ebay right now. I would buy it but I just bought a Garmin striker 4.

PhilR

If I bought the 110, would you trade me your striker for it?

Not a serious offer, but curious about your preference. I like my FB, but now that I have a boat I'm also thinking about a striker.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
If I bought the 110, would you trade me your striker for it?

Not a serious offer, but curious about your preference. I like my FB, but now that I have a boat I'm also thinking about a striker.
I haven't had either.
I missed a Fishing Buddy 120 ten days ago on the auction site by a few bucks I would have liked to have. From what I've read on here the old model fishin buddy's are much preferred over the later models.
I've used Lowrance on my bigger boats and like them a lot.

Last edited:

PhilR

Gotcha. I have the old FB II, with side finder. I actually got another as a backup. I like the depth and water temp features, but I don’t like that it only shows fish icons instead of the returns.

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon
Gotcha. I have the old FB II, with side finder. I actually got another as a backup. I like the depth and water temp features, but I don’t like that it only shows fish icons instead of the returns.
IIRC when you turn off the fish icons it shows returns. OTOH, I always hold out the possibility that I could be wrong.

Squamishpoacher

I have a Fishin' Buddy Max. They don't make them anymore with good reason because it's junk. I also have a 120 that is now 22 years old and still purring along. My Max has spent most of the last 5 months in the repair depot. Took it in mid-July and got it back after a month. First time out in September and it wouldn't stay on so sent it back and they still have it. The Max also eats AA batteries like crazy. I'm looking at a Stryker Plus 4cv. I just have to figure out how to attach it to my pontoon boat.

Ron Olsen

WFF Supporter
I have a Fishin' Buddy Max. They don't make them anymore with good reason because it's junk. I also have a 120 that is now 22 years old and still purring along. My Max has spent most of the last 5 months in the repair depot. Took it in mid-July and got it back after a month. First time out in September and it wouldn't stay on so sent it back and they still have it. The Max also eats AA batteries like crazy. I'm looking at a Stryker Plus 4cv. I just have to figure out how to attach it to my pontoon boat.
Lots of ideas, products, parts at https://www.fishfindermounts.com/float-tube-mounts

Here is basic instruction YouTube:

I use a car rear seat cup holder, like from Autozone, cost about $12. Add a strap to go around your tube. Mount a short 1/4" Scotty gear tract to the cup holder. Get the Scotty Kayak transducer mount (gear head) and the DF mounting plate. Bolt/screw it all together. Power source as you see fit/need on DF draw. Small SLA, block of NiMH AA cells (10 give 12 volts, up to 2300mAh with eneloop), or Lion. You also get a cup holder, storage tray, and in my case a cigar tray. Like this below, with Mark 4. I have switched to a Garmin Striker 4 CV (which uses twice as much power) but same hardware.

depth finder.jpg

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
Lots of ideas, products, parts at https://www.fishfindermounts.com/float-tube-mounts

Here is basic instruction YouTube:

I use a car rear seat cup holder, like from Autozone, cost about $12. Add a strap to go around your tube. Mount a short 1/4" Scotty gear tract to the cup holder. Get the Scotty Kayak transducer mount (gear head) and the DF mounting plate. Bolt/screw it all together. Power source as you see fit/need on DF draw. Small SLA, block of NiMH AA cells (10 give 12 volts, up to 2300mAh with eneloop), or Lion. You also get a cup holder, storage tray, and in my case a cigar tray. Like this below, with Mark 4. I have switched to a Garmin Striker 4 CV (which uses twice as much power) but same hardware.

View attachment 219894
Thanks for the visuals. My new Garmin Striker 4 will be here Monday.
I picked up a couple used 12v 5ah rechargeable batteries for 5.00 each in Bellingham at the Pacific Power Battery store on Iowa St. They supply businesses and the hospital etc. with batteries for their security systems and so forth.
These businesses must replace the batteries every 1 to 2 years and many never get used or drawn down. The battery store tests them and warranties them for 90 days.
For 5 bucks you can't beat it.

Haggis57

I've got an FB 120 I'm hoping stays alive as well. However, I've been thinking about a Striker 4 as a plan B and liked the look of the Scotty 268 Float Tube Fish Finder /Transducer mount. It has separate mounting plates for the screen and the transducer and would strap on to a float tube or pontoon boat in a similar way to the Fishin Buddys. I liked the fact that the fish finder mount was quite low profile and kept the screen low.
Ken
Scotty 268 strap on FF mount.JPG

Ron Olsen

WFF Supporter
Good looking solution. Does the transducer mount swivel so it can be underwater, but above the bottom of the boat? I always had an issue with a strap mounted transducer scrapping bottom, or getting snagged on weeds.

Haggis57

Good looking solution. Does the transducer mount swivel so it can be underwater, but above the bottom of the boat? I always had an issue with a strap mounted transducer scrapping bottom, or getting snagged on weeds.
The Scotty package just comes with a flat plate that you mount your transducer on. I am concerned about being able to pivot the transducer as well. The link you provided above for fishfindermounts.com indicates they sell a pivoting transducer mount separately. In fact, you can also buy the plastic components separately without the strap. Ken
1c Strap-on Pivoting transducer.JPG 1c2.JPG

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock