Hats Off To WFF's James St. Clair for........

JayB

Wow @JayB, thanks for supporting our small business! I will get them shipped out to you tomorrow. Should arrive the following day. I will look forward to your wine review, haha!

James

Wow - that was fast. Both bottles made it to the front door in great shape! I think I'm equally psyched about trying out the wine and the fly!

Speaking of the fly - what are you using for the wing material? Also - is the abdomen the same closed-cell foam that you used for the head stretched around the deer hair tail?

Thanks!

Wow - that was fast. Both bottles made it to the front door in great shape! I think I'm equally psyched about trying out the wine and the fly!

Speaking of the fly - what are you using for the wing material? Also - is the abdomen the same closed-cell foam that you used for the head stretched around the deer hair tail?

Thanks!
Hi Jay! Stoked that you got the wine man! Please let me know what you think, if it's not your favorite, maybe in a PM, haha!

So, for the body, I stole @ScottP 's basic recipe for extended body foam flies. He has some bad ass SBS's in the fly tying forum if you haven't checked them out yet. I would search for Scott P, and Carnage (name for extended body foam) in that specific forum, and you will see exactly how I made that body.

For my specific fly, I used 1mm foam around cow elk tail dyed brown, with two hairs pulled out for tails (using my wife's tweezers, hahaha!). The wing is elk hair dyed brown, over MFC foam etha wing, over some UV tan krystal flash. And then I colored the top of the abdomen with a Brown sharpie.

Again, thank you for supporting my (wine) business, and I hope you get a chance to review it and share with everyone!

James

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Thanks @Ron McNeal, was pretty cool to see my fly in the top 3 of the dry fly category! Lots of great flies in the contest. The winning dry was a really neat tie with those origami wings, and I believe that fly won the overall best fly of the entire competition. I have seen lots of posts/comments recently on whether or not some of these new, more artsy flies that are absolutely killer ties are fishable or not. Either way, some very talented tying. I do think the winner said he has landed quite a few trout on that caddis fly.

A little background on this fly. I tied this first last spring in anticipation for fishing it during the summer when the stones are out. First spin out was up on a blue line near Yakima with my boys, and we had a great day with it. I tied another few up for a trip I had planned to Sun Valley, ID later in the summer. I ended up catching the Copper Basin grand slam on this fly: Rainbow, Snake River Fine Spot Cutthroat, Westslope Cutthroat, Cut-Bow, and Grayling (I guess I missed the whitefish, but I did pick one up on a dropper nymph to complete the slam, haha!). I landed countless fish on this fly until it finally started to fall apart...even minus a rubber leg on one side and missing quite a bit of hair I was still catching fish, but it started to not float as well, so I decided to give some other creations a try, with good success as well. It has also fished really well for me on the Yakima River.

Here is the fly after the Idaho trip:
View attachment 219606

In any case, thank you for the shout out, I do appreciate it. For those that don't use instagram, here are the original photos that I posted:
View attachment 219603
View attachment 219604
View attachment 219605
Abdomen and tail really stands out, did you tie that on a bodkin then attached to the hook?
And what's the trick on keeping the deer hair wing together? Not flared out all over. That looks so cool.

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
James makes great wine. Order it up if you like great wine. I still have one last bottle of the 2011 (Or 2012?) vinocluster merlot that I just can’t bear to open.

Abdomen and tail really stands out, did you tie that on a bodkin then attached to the hook?
And what's the trick on keeping the deer hair wing together? Not flared out all over. That looks so cool.
Not tied on a bodkin, tied over a core of 3x mono attached to a gallows tool. As I mentioned, check out @ScottP's Carnage SBS's in the fly tying sub-forum. He's got a couple that show exactly how to make the body. Takes a bit to get used to, but once you dial it in you can create some really cool bodies on just about any fly you want to tie. Here are a couple more using the same technique:
IMG_20191207_163524_253.jpg
IMG_20191203_170536_863.jpg
IMG_20191106_071248_937.jpg

For the deer hair (I actually use Elk), I don't really have a trick I use. Stack the hair, pinch it tight, and tie it in slightly on your side of the hook. I use a loose wrap all the way around the hair, and then pull straight up tightly. The hair will flair a little at this point, but that's ok. Wrap over the butt's of the hair and trim. And then when you dub back, make sure to go over the hair a tiny bit and that helps suck it down so it's not flared too much.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock