Thin Wool Glove Liner Recommendations

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The polypropylene liner with nitriles over the top have worked really well for me.
Everyone has a different tolerance threshold when it comes to being cold, so what works for me may not work for others.

Wool liners would likely work as well if they were thin enough to allow you to still tie knots.

Some hand model pics that I sent to someone recently who had asked about gloves....
SF

0C5087B4-3655-403E-9A69-88F326F61F09.jpeg 52A5EEA3-DBEA-4AF9-A899-8ACE6EECBE5A.jpeg

ffb

The polypropylene liner with nitriles over the top have worked really well for me.
Everyone has a different tolerance threshold when it comes to being cold, so what works for me may not work for others.

Wool liners would likely work as well if they were thin enough to allow you to still tie knots.

Some hand model pics that I sent to someone recently who had asked about gloves....
SF

View attachment 219859 View attachment 219858
Where do you get your polypro liners at? Gotta give this a try.

Stonefish

Jon,
I bought them in the past at both Outdoor Emporium in Seattle and Sportco in Fife. I think they were $10 or so.
Bike shops carry them, but they are more expensive.
I’d bet Amazon or REI has some.
SF

Elliott5400

I'll say this everytime, merino wool.

Smartwool is a trusted quality brand. They also step up for their product. I bought a premium smartwool top second hand only to later discover a hole I didn't notice at first. Smartwool offered to send me a brand new replacement when we asked them about us buying materials to fix it.

Stonefish

These look like they would be thin enough to tie knots if you wanted merino wool under the nitrile.
Unisex as well ;)
SF

Old406Kid

Thanks to all for some great suggestions and opinions keep them coming
I think I'll try the polypro and nitrile combo first.
Now that we've gotten this far my next dilemma is the proper color of nitrile.;) :D

Stonefish

Now that we've gotten this far my next dilemma is the proper color of nitrile.;) :D
Color depends on the thickness when you buy them at Harbor Freight.......
5 mil are baby blue
7 mil are dark blue
9 mil are black

They are all pretty sexy, but I'm a fan of the dark blue........for the color and durability of course. :D
SF

Old406Kid

Color depends on the thickness when you buy them at Harbor Freight.......
5 mil are baby blue
7 mil are dark blue
9 mil are black

They are all pretty sexy, but I'm a fan of the dark blue........for the color and durability of course. :D
SF
Any recommendation on which color is more appropriate for spring or fall fashion?...Oh wait, that's Swimmy's department. ;)

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Dean -
I use the 5 mil gloves around home when mixing sprays but find they're too flimsy for on and off use when fishing. The 7 mil (dark blue) are very durable. One guide I know uses the 9 mil gloves but he's more into gear/bait guiding and isn't trying to change size 14 flies.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Buzzy, I will try Stonefish's suggestion this winter as well, but want to mention what I did last winter. I've used fleece gloves for years, cutting about an inch off the ends of the thumbs and first two fingers so I can hold line and tie knots. Last winter I stuck one of those shaker Hotties in the glove on the backs of my hands, and that worked great. Although it's my palms and fingers that get cold, placing that little Hottie on my palm would interfere with hold the rod and casting. Having the heat source on the back of my hands still works fine at keeping palms and fingers warm.

This has been my go to as well. I think the heat source next to the blood flow helps(even if it says don't put them directly on the skin). Works great until its raining.

I'm going to try the nitrile over gloves this year too. I normally get sweaty hands so I can't wear just the gloves but I think over some ski glove liners I'll be OK. I've got big hands and XL liners fit me fairly tightly so I'm thinking XXL nitriles. Wish I could try them on before buying a box.

c-dawg

WFF Supporter
Wish I could try them on before buying a box.
I'll bet a store would let you try on a glove before buying a box. I know Smart Foodservice (the store that used to be called Cash & Carry) usually has an opened box of each size of nitriles on the shelf.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock