How many of y'all "overline" your rods?

DerekWhipple

I do not spey fish much (pretty much just do it during primo dry-line season), so I do not have a lot of experience with different rods or lines. Three times over the last couple years, I have gone into local reputable shops looking for a line, and all three times, the grain weight recommended to me has been on the heavy side, even outside of the window of the rod the line will be for. This has been both for scandi and skagit lines. When I went in to get a scandi line for my 7wt rod, I was initially recommended a 480 grain head, 30 grains higher than the recommended skagit line. What gives? Do guys in their 20's or 30's like to bend the rod until it cries, so they pegged me as someone who needed as many grains as possible?

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
WFF Supporter
Two handed rods generally have a huge grain range that they like, and each caster has a different spot on that range they like. I've also had heavier recommendations than I wanted, and i bought what i wanted. Example "X brand recommends 550, but the rep really likes a 525, but it'll handle 600." Its a spey rod, it'll throw anything you put on there, some better than others depending on casting stroke, tips, length of head, taper, and skill to name a few. I use the recommended grains as a starting point. My buddy loved a 600 on the same rod I like a 550 on.

Anyway, it's not over lining, its recomended grain windows. And that doesn't matter either.

What rod?

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
Scandi set ups are also used to present lighter flies. As KillerDave reminded you, Sink tips add weight. As well a polyleader is designed to sink. The math (KillerDave) gave equals out to +70 grains over. That fly isnt going to turn over itself. Plus, the head is longer and tapered on a Scandi line. I think you got good info, as well. This video should help you put things in persective.
and this video will help too!

Last edited:

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
I used to but not so much anymore. I was thinking about getting a lot more single hand weight forward lines to experiment with. As far as Skagit, I use different tips for different rigs and presentations.

cmann886

I would only use the advertised window as a guideline and throw as many different lines and grains on it as you possibly can. I have found sweet spots for me both above and below the recommended grain weights. With longer lines, that is especially true.

Jim Darden

I would only use the advertised window as a guideline and throw as many different lines and grains on it as you possibly can. I have found sweet spots for me both above and below the recommended grain weights. With longer lines, that is especially true.
You need to cast my 7 wt 14+ ft Sage rod and stay within the grain window.
Sometimes they just screw up....this is a 9 wt spey rod and it will not cast until you get that much line weight on the rod....the best test is to trial cast it to determine what you like. There is a window for personal preference but sometimes the manufacturers really miss the boat

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts