Best small saltwater hooks?

Thrasybulus

The new fly fisherman
Gamakatsu hooks are nice in smaller sizes. It depends on the species you are after with your smaller sized hook and how big the gap needs to be. Use a heavier hook if there is a chance something big crashes the party.

SL45
SL11-3H

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I wont be buying any more SC15s moving forward but I still have a pretty big stash of them so will use them a bit.

I wont use one smaller than a size 2. Any smaller and they are just too fragile IMO. I've bent more out on cutthroat than I have anything else.

Reactions: Zak

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I'm lately more partial to the Ahrex SA280 minnow hook too, straight eye, stout, and that curve is just so good for baitfish patterns.
Tried one packet and had to order more in various sizes, wished @Spawnflyfish was located next door haha. Josh do ship fast though, takes only 2 days. He's my Amazon prime for fly tying :)

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I'm lately more partial to the Ahrex SA280 minnow hook too, straight eye, stout, and that curve is just so good for baitfish patterns.
Tried one packet and had to order more in various sizes, wished @Spawnflyfish was located next door haha. Josh do ship fast though, takes only 2 days. He's my Amazon prime for fly tying :)
Lol Same story here. Started with one pack and had to order a bunch more.

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
WFF Supporter
They are hands down my favorite hook right now too! They pair perfectly with our 60 and 90 degree shanks which makes them even more appealing for me. Im glad that they arrive quickly! Hopefully someday we can have a shop for you to stop in at!

Zak

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try out the SA280 minnow hooks from Spawn Fly Fish (which really should be a WFF Supporter. . .as should I).

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
WFF Supporter
Thanks everyone! I'm going to try out the SA280 minnow hooks from Spawn Fly Fish (which really should be a WFF Supporter. . .as should I).
Zak,

Thank you I really appreciate it and I didn't know that was a thing I'm logging into our payal and signing up! Hope you have a great holiday!

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
WFF Supporter
Where do folks like to go for bulk hook orders? Sorry, I’m sure this has been discussed elsewhere.
Generally, they don't do this unless you have a business license for commercial tying or manufacturing. They will also not let you repackage these for sale. I have seen this done though. Several companies do offer bigger packs like Owner Pro Packs which we are happy to stock anytime!

Reactions: NRC

Zak

I picked up some of the SA280 Ahrex hooks from Spawn and they are really nice (though the size 6 seems a little big to me). I also ordered some more Mustad 34007-SS from another source, but they sent me a different, newer Mustad hook: the S71SNP-DT (duratin over stainless steel). Apparently the S71SNP-DT is Mustad's new standard saltwater hook. It has a longer shank and smaller gap than the SA280, is much less bendable than the 34007-SS, and I'm liking it.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I picked up some of the SA280 Ahrex hooks from Spawn and they are really nice (though the size 6 seems a little big to me). I also ordered some more Mustad 34007-SS from another source, but they sent me a different, newer Mustad hook: the S71SNP-DT (duratin over stainless steel). Apparently the S71SNP-DT is Mustad's new standard saltwater hook. It has a longer shank and smaller gap than the SA280, is much less bendable than the 34007-SS, and I'm liking it.
Both the 34007 and 3407DT where pretty standard hooks way back when for saltwater use around here. Neither were very sharp out of the box.
The S71 is likely a better hook then the 34007.
They still make the 34007 I believe, but maybe they were out of them.

I buy the 3407DT size 4 in 100 packs as they are cheaper then shanks and easy to cut off when tying stinger patterns.

Those Ahrex 280 have already drawn some blood while tying with them. They are sharp as hell.
SF

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
The Ahrex SA280’s are nice. I love the design and they are sharp as hell. The steel is definitely harder than say the SC15’s. I cannot see them being bent out. However, I have had two points break off the last two outings fishing rocky beaches. Anyone else come have this issue? I cannot recall the last time that happened to me (I am sure it has) fishing various Gamikatsu hooks.

Maybe a bad batch? My casting is getting worse? Too much spinach before I pinch the barbs...?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
The Ahrex SA280’s are nice. I love the design and they are sharp as hell. The steel is definitely harder than say the SC15’s. I cannot see them being bent out. However, I have had two points break off the last two outings fishing rocky beaches. Anyone else come have this issue? I cannot recall the last time that happened to me (I am sure it has) fishing various Gamikatsu hooks.

Maybe a bad batch? My casting is getting worse? Too much spinach before I pinch the barbs...?

@mtskibum16 and I were just texting about this. We have both noticed that with those hard Ahrex hooks of various styles. For me it's not much of an issue fishing out of the boat but it is a nuisance when on the beach where flies get banged around a lot more.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
@mtskibum16 and I were just texting about this. We have both noticed that with those hard Ahrex hooks of various styles. For me it's not much of an issue fishing out of the boat but it is a nuisance when on the beach where flies get banged around a lot more.
Makes sense. I guess I have to buy that boat soon so I can use those hooks. I’m gathering any and all justification to use against my cheap ass self...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts