Best small saltwater hooks?

mtskibum16

The Ahrex SA280’s are nice. I love the design and they are sharp as hell. The steel is definitely harder than say the SC15’s. I cannot see them being bent out. However, I have had two points break off the last two outings fishing rocky beaches. Anyone else come have this issue? I cannot recall the last time that happened to me (I am sure it has) fishing various Gamikatsu hooks.

Maybe a bad batch? My casting is getting worse? Too much spinach before I pinch the barbs...?
Like @Nick Clayton said, I have also had some problem with Ahrex points breaking on rocky beaches. They do seem to stay sharp longer up until the time they break. Unfortunately one bad cast early in a new fly's life can be enough to break the point. That said, a Gami point might not break, but I have found that once I ding them and have to start sharpening I tend to have my sharpener out every couple casts. I think the initial hardness on say an SC15 is from the coating, but once it's damaged they don't keep a point well.

So really, I'm not sure the breaking points is that much worse. I do know flies live a lot longer when fishing from a boat!

ffb

Same for me on the Ahrex broken hook points. But they are so sharp and seem to stay sharp longer that I feel like they are worth the risk. Plus if I break enough hooks maybe I will focus harder on keeping my back cast up :D. I need to try the SA280s still

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
WFF Supporter
The Ahrex SA280’s are nice. I love the design and they are sharp as hell. The steel is definitely harder than say the SC15’s. I cannot see them being bent out. However, I have had two points break off the last two outings fishing rocky beaches. Anyone else come have this issue? I cannot recall the last time that happened to me (I am sure it has) fishing various Gamikatsu hooks.

Maybe a bad batch? My casting is getting worse? Too much spinach before I pinch the barbs...?
Are you hitting them on the rocks on your back cast? I haven’t had this issue but definitely interested in learning more. I’m also more than happy to speak to Ahrex on your behalf and refund/swap them you if you purchased them on our site and are unsatisfied. We work closely with them and want to provide the best possible product for all circumstances!

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Are you hitting them on the rocks on your back cast? I haven’t had this issue but definitely interested in learning more. I’m also more than happy to speak to Ahrex on your behalf and refund/swap them you if you purchased them on our site and are unsatisfied. We work closely with them and want to provide the best possible product for all circumstances!
Yeah, I definitively hit them on the beach during my back cast. Which as you know, happens from time to time. No need to refund/swap but I appreciate the offer. No hook is perfect. I really like a lot of features of the hook and will continue to use them and buy from your site. I’ll just be more aware of my back cast when fishing rocky beaches. I need to do that anyway, especially with baitfish patterns (which I like the hook for). It’ll save me about 210,000 lost baitfish eyes a year as well if I stop smacking my flies against rocks ;).

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
WFF Supporter
Yeah, I definitively hit them on the beach during my back cast. Which as you know, happens from time to time. No need to refund/swap but I appreciate the offer. No hook is perfect. I really like a lot of features of the hook and will continue to use them and buy from your site. I’ll just be more aware of my back cast when fishing rocky beaches. I need to do that anyway, especially with baitfish patterns (which I like the hook for). It’ll save me about 210,000 lost baitfish eyes a year as well if I stop smacking my flies against rocks ;).
Oh it definitely happens I’ve broke just about everything possible fishing from the beach! I really appreciate it! I have passed this information along to Ahrex and they have already returned my email. Super valuable information that I know they will utilize! Let me know if there’s anything I can help with. I only carry a few brands of hooks (owner,gamakatsu and Ahrex) because I personally use them and trust them so want to make sure people are always satisfied!

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
WFF Supporter
So I spoke to Ahrex again today and we discussed the breaking of hooks for several of you. They are going to be writing a blog about it. However I wanted to inform everyone. The Owner
Morten is a good friend and did a good job simplifying the answer. Ahrex hooks are made out of High Carbon Wire and not Stainless steel so the tip can break if they hit a rock at high velocity. They chose this because you with High Carbon Wire you can create much sharper point! You can chemically sharpen High carbon, which is not possible with Stainless steel. I don’t fish from the beach as often but have slammed them into the side of my sled without issues. Overall my opinion still stands that the SA280 is my favorite small hook for Puget Sound right now!

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
So I spoke to Ahrex again today and we discussed the breaking of hooks for several of you. They are going to be writing a blog about it. However I wanted to inform everyone. The Owner
Morten is a good friend and did a good job simplifying the answer. Ahrex hooks are made out of High Carbon Wire and not Stainless steel so the tip can break if they hit a rock at high velocity. They chose this because you with High Carbon Wire you can create much sharper point! You can chemically sharpen High carbon, which is not possible with Stainless steel. I don’t fish from the beach as often but have slammed them into the side of my sled without issues. Overall my opinion still stands that the SA280 is my favorite small hook for Puget Sound right now!
Thanks for the follow up @Spawnflyfish. I really enjoy the hook and look forward to reading their blog. One thing they might consider is selling a barbless version. That material is hard and I do have to put a lot of pressure on my pliers to pinch the barb. I have to think that weakens the hook a bit making it more prone to breakage.

Edit: I know that is more easily said than done: manufacture something new, that’s easy, right:). Just a thought though.

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
WFF Supporter
Thanks for the follow up @Spawnflyfish. I really enjoy the hook and look forward to reading their blog. One thing they might consider is selling a barbless version. That material is hard and I do have to put a lot of pressure on my pliers to pinch the barb. I have to think that weakens the hook a bit making it more prone to breakage.
I can ask them about the bard! I’ll talk to him when he wakes up in Denmark and I’m up late working to much! Yeah manufacturing is tough he probably has 100,000 plus units to sell before he can make a move!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock