Trip Report Where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers Join to Form the Atlantic Ocean

Prickly Claire

A friend who guides out of Charleston called me up Wednesday night and told me his Friday charter had bailed, and wanted to know if I was down for some salty critters. I haven't been down to the coast in months, so I leapt at the chance.

The weatherman had been promising good, glassy conditions. The plan in the morning was to run offshore , check out a couple of artificial reefs, see if we could tease up some amberjacks and tug on a few of those very bad boys. Alas, the weatherman was full of it, and we found too much chop to make the long run in a bay boat. We called an audible and chased birds just off the beaches after bull redfish. Success was attained. They are handsome fish. This one was the handsomest of all.

Cheers y'all!

Claire

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Very cool fish, what kind of setup are you using for fish like this? Welcome to the forum - I see you're being a bit secretive, that's cool but maybe at least tell us where you live or something ... eh? //Pat

Prickly Claire

Very cool fish, what kind of setup are you using for fish like this? Welcome to the forum - I see you're being a bit secretive, that's cool but maybe at least tell us where you live or something ... eh? //Pat
I put up a quick intro on the main board with that info. I'm based out of Western North Carolina. In general, if you see me keeping my face out of a pic, it's for mental health reasons, i.e. to not trigger my dysphoria.

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
I put up a quick intro on the main board with that info. I'm based out of Western North Carolina. In general, if you see me keeping my face out of a pic, it's for mental health reasons, i.e. to not trigger my dysphoria.
Fair enough. Welcome to the forum and I missed or forgot your main board information. Again, welcome, post some more fish pic trip reports.

Prickly Claire

As for setup, these fish are mostly cruising the down current sides of deep rips and humps in 40-50' of water, so the game is monster sink tips and heavy flies. What we do is cast well up current, kick in big mends to sink the fly all the way down, and come tight basically when the line comes to a vertical position and then jig the fly until the current drags it back out of the strike zone. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. In shallow water or if they're up busting bait on the surface, you can handle them on an 8 or 9 wt, but because of the weight of the flies and the big-ass sink tips required to dredge them when they are staying down, an 11 or 12 tends to be more appropriate.

SilverFly

As for setup, these fish are mostly cruising the down current sides of deep rips and humps in 40-50' of water, so the game is monster sink tips and heavy flies. What we do is cast well up current, kick in big mends to sink the fly all the way down, and come tight basically when the line comes to a vertical position and then jig the fly until the current drags it back out of the strike zone. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. In shallow water or if they're up busting bait on the surface, you can handle them on an 8 or 9 wt, but because of the weight of the flies and the big-ass sink tips required to dredge them when they are staying down, an 11 or 12 tends to be more appropriate.
Welcome to WFF. Love reading East and Gulf coast saltwater fly reports! Sorry you didn't get offshore but dredging for big redfish is hardly a consolation prize. That technique is not entirely unlike what we do for albacore (not false) out West, when we get a school keyed on the boat with chunked anchovies. Wish we had reds and AJ's out here but you could do the same thing with lingcod on nearshore reefs.

Looking forward to more reports from your neck of the woods... especially offshore. Don't think for a second that Atlantic bluewater stuff isn't relevant or welcome on a Pacific NW website. Besides having the best albacore fishery on the planet, if warming trends continue, we could have viable pelagic fisheries for bluefin tuna, yellowtail, striped marlin, and even dorado within a decade. So please, post away. There is much we can learn from salty, right-coast fly fishers. So, you have friends waiting for you in the Saltwater forum!

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock