Small mayfly hatch from June

Taxon

WFF Moderator
Here is the best I can do as far as cropping, blowing up, and un-darkening your photo in order to be able to better see it for purpose of identification:

Attachments

• Mayfly ID Request.jpg
    Mayfly ID Request.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 70

jimbojones

Taxon, thank you for cropping that pic. definitely easier to see now! I see now that you are correct, the banding is different. any ideas on on the correct name?

Taxon

WFF Moderator
It would help me to narrow down the possibilities if you could provide the date that the photo was taken, the county where the photo was taken, and whether on (or in the immediate vicinity of) flowing water or still water.

jimbojones

It was on may 26th. Jefferson county, on the west side near Forks. standing over a decent size pool in a flowing river

Taxon

WFF Moderator
At this point, my guess would be that it is of family Baetidae, mostly due to its whitish unmarked forlegs, but I don't have very much confidence in that guess. ;)

jamma

The only other possibility I would throw out here would be Siphlonurus, but that's just a wild, somewhat educated guess.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts