Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

painting

13K views 168 replies 26 participants last post by  No longer with us 
#1 ·
something I have not been doing much of...started one from a visit this summer to the South Platte near the gold medal water...
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Paint Natural landscape

See less See more
#42 ·
progress is intermittent...I have a lot of projects that pull on me...I think I will never be bored in retirement...new love, new home , a gar View attachment 232564 den to build and plan...painting...I have always thought to give a painting in progress some air some time away from these eyes is a tonic for more accute decisions...No one is waiting for this current painting so it is on my time frame...fresh eyes , meaning don't look at it a while ...gives this artists brain acuity.

#46 ·
A number of years ago I went to mark Nobles The Greased Line Fly Shoppe in Vancouver. Mark was closing...It turns out it was because of his health. Mark was very private about what was going on. That year I gave Mark a birthday present. a painting called "Redd."I bought a bunch of stuff at his closing sale . Time passes and I heard that someone saw the painting I gave him at a new fly shop in Portland...I was confused by that. I asked some questions. I called the shop to find out what was up. The owner said said he bought out Marks inventory and the painting came with all the rods gear and tying stuff. I got a call later from a long time friend who grew up with him. He knew I knew him well because of my posts on a fly fishing web site. he was concerned. Months passed and I later found out Mark had taken his own life...A sad end to my mind...I hope someone spread his ashes on the Dean River. That seems right to me.
Fin Paint Sockeye salmon Fish Art

#48 ·
Just so folks know...I charge $650 to $1200 for framed paintings depending on size...Some smaller ones are less...A few folks have PM'd me...I told them(commissions) and I scared them away...So this is a general indication of what is and shall be.

#51 ·
A number of years ago I went to mark Nobles The Greased Line Fly Shoppe in Vancouver. Mark was closing...It turns out it was because of his health. Mark was very private about what was going on. That year I gave Mark a birthday present. a painting called "Redd."I bought a bunch of stuff at his closing sale . Time passes and I heard that someone saw the painting I gave him at a new fly shop in Portland...I was confused by that. I asked some questions. I called the shop to find out what was up. The owner said said he bought out Marks inventory and the painting came with all the rods gear and tying stuff. I got a call later from a long time friend who grew up with him. He knew I knew him well because of my posts on a fly fishing web site. he was concerned. Months passed and I later found out Mark had taken his own life...A sad end to my mind...I hope someone spread his ashes on the Dean River. That seems right to me. View attachment 234501
Sad stuff, Skip. Great piece of art there !

#52 · (Edited)
Just so folks know...I charge $650 to $1200 for framed paintings depending on size...Some smaller ones are less...A few folks have PM'd me...I told them(commissions) and I scared them away...So this is a general indication of what is and shall be.
Gotta jump in here. Guys dropping $1k plus on one single rod, $1k for reels.. yet hesitate at fine art?

I see some people chase a fad for awhile..a DeYoung, a Prosek.. Imho, that stuff is total garbage sh*t !
Anyone who said Prosek is the "Audubon of the fish world" is blind as a bat. DeYoung sorta has style-for a jr high school taste, or some yuppie fishing lodge in MT.. Yeah, I am opinionated with art. If not art, what then?

Good for you, Skip! If a guy cannot afford to budget the price of real quality, original art, check the mall and see if the poster store is open still. What? Looking for $100-200 framed watercolor original art??

The biggest bummer about flyfishing is that it used to ALL be an art unto itself, but when it all becomes a part of the commercial, copycat society, I just cringe. Hello Redford.

Keep up the original fine work, Skip.

#69 ·
#62 ·
I am not as conventional as some...I do what i do...I have clients that wait for the next one...Thank Gawd!~but I am aware that art is hard work and I certainly do not make any effort to create to meet any kind of trend...Screw that...I paint to learn and aspire and just live up to the idea that I am an artist. Now if I could live longer I might get truly good at this shit,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.