Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

painting

13K views 168 replies 26 participants last post by  No longer with us 
#1 ·
something I have not been doing much of...started one from a visit this summer to the South Platte near the gold medal water...
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Paint Natural landscape

See less See more
#85 ·
Thank you, the long grass in the foreground looks difficult to do in water color.
You know what THE HARD PART ABOUT CREATING REPRESENTATIVE ART IS? Balance, touch. in this case with a brush, color, tone and edges or clarity/ control all for the sake of composition...that skill over time that in some way assumes how the viewers eye moves across a creation. Since this is not paint by number...the ilk of what I do is as much about feeling it as doing it...That , my friend rules the creative art I do.

#89 ·
I am trying to bring all I got thus far in this learning curve of painting, painting local and what I know. I do not copy source material I interpret it...and I have to say, I consider the light and how my interpretations need to be accommodated by the things I do on t he paper. Still working on it sl0wly between gardening projects...
Plant Water resources Plant community Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

#93 ·
With this COVID thing...Yeah phase 2 some places have just moved beyond with interaction...primarily oh the east side of this state...their attitudes about controll reflect that...Me I Iam gonna hang low and close to home and do what I do...garden and paint...and starting a new painting today...because it is always what I do...

#97 · (Edited)
I am a watercolor arist...over 45 tears now...
NW_flyfisher. I use Windsor Newton and Danial Smith tube watercolors...I also use student grade Grumbacher tubes...fof their reticulation qualities as they are less refined and I like the effect when I want such a thing...I use Arches 300 lb cold and hot press...I usually split a full WN sheet to 15" X 22" so I can get 2 paintings from single sheet...There are many other fine quality papers...but I like the Arches

#100 ·
Awesome work Skip. I haven't been back here in a bit. Been trying get back into WC. Acrylic too. Hell, I'll be happy if I get out on the river. Do you teach? I'm having a hell of a problem saving the white of paper or canvas all the time. I have never used titanium white. It can be baffling but WC technique keeps showing up in my acrylics.

#106 ·
I will show yo an old one here...I played with watercolor effects in acrylic on primed masonite on this one and others I wanted in acrylics a lot...I added and experimented with watering it down...dish soap and a fan brush...sudsing up the primed board letting it dry...Interesting reticulation...since you are trained you will know what I mean...
Well I don't know if being trained at north seattle college is what I would call it. 8 years in the Army had some training. Almost got kicked out of nursing school before I figured out I needed that training. The only thing I have tried is thinning with water on canvas largely because all the brush strokes with a thick medium, do not exist in my head. In fact., I am working on arches 140. Just some harliquin ducks on the water. My goal is to use the acrylic like a permanent mask, laying watercolor next to it with less bleed and maybe clean up a tremor. I also am trying to practice blending watercolor and blending acrylic color to the same hue, on watercolor paper. Like the same hue of blue, one side watercolor and other is acrylic. Could I get it the same hue? You know self taught crap cuz I'll be 60 next month and not going back to school. If I fish the salt with my spey rod next week, I'll be happy with that.

#108 ·
something to keep in mind...watercolor works in a sort of symbiotic way with the white of the paper...a kind of brightness... with acrylic working with watered down acrylic in tandem with hen used solidly with that opacity...any amount of zinc white or other white will never truly match up...hue and value maybe but tricky to match between mediums...acrylic has a different luster and the pigment in both papers are ground differently...talking subtlety here......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.