Meanwhile, in BC....

joellirot

Living up here now - it's amazing. I have a place 30-45 minutes from the Thompson. This spring will be my first year fishing it but I have very high expectations!

Up here everyone is in a state of worshiping the 'first nations'. Every speech is prefaced at my kids school by recognizing that we are on 'unceeded land' of whatever tribe.

They have completely separate rules when it comes to hunting and fishing. Basically they have none. And so, they are allowed to do their traditional sustenance fishing - with gill nets pulled across the rivers with aluminum fishing boats. They sell the roe to china - and whole fish out of the back of their pickup trucs - when we're not even allowed to fish recreationally.

In the lower Frasier I've seen up to 6 boats fishing when the river was closed to fishing - except for indigenous. It was amazing to see the number of fish they pulled out.

My personal belief is that it's politically prudent to suck up to the FN for the votes.

What was done to those people - within almost recent memory as well - was a tragedy. Nothing short of genocide. But, allowing the 'stewards of the land' to decimate the wildlife and natural resources with impunity is a tragedy as well.

JayB

Living up here now - it's amazing. I have a place 30-45 minutes from the Thompson. This spring will be my first year fishing it but I have very high expectations!

Up here everyone is in a state of worshiping the 'first nations'. Every speech is prefaced at my kids school by recognizing that we are on 'unceeded land' of whatever tribe.

They have completely separate rules when it comes to hunting and fishing. Basically they have none. And so, they are allowed to do their traditional sustenance fishing - with gill nets pulled across the rivers with aluminum fishing boats. They sell the roe to china - and whole fish out of the back of their pickup trucs - when we're not even allowed to fish recreationally.

In the lower Frasier I've seen up to 6 boats fishing when the river was closed to fishing - except for indigenous. It was amazing to see the number of fish they pulled out.

My personal belief is that it's politically prudent to suck up to the FN for the votes.

What was done to those people - within almost recent memory as well - was a tragedy. Nothing short of genocide. But, allowing the 'stewards of the land' to decimate the wildlife and natural resources with impunity is a tragedy as well.

-I'm looking forward to the opportunity to hear an adult engaging in the empty, self-righteous grandstanding that has its formal apogee in the "Native Land Claim" statement. As soon as they're done, I'll invite them to walk the talk and assuage their guilt by handing over the title to their home and any other land they may own to the nearest tribe. I'm sure the tribe would be happy to relieve them of it, and might even provide them with a quick thanks in exchange.

-I used to think that the WDFW stood alone at the top of the heap in terms of its failure to reconcile treaty claims and non-tribal commercial harvest with a rational conservation strategy that could preserve fisheries for the rest of the population and/or the future, but the DFO's failures in this regard clearly also have them in the running. Based on their performance to date "Managing today's fisheries into extinction to atone for the sins of the past" should be the formal motto/mission statement for both the WDFW and the DFO.

Having said that - there are occasionally rumblings to the effect that not everyone in these agencies is on board with these strategic goals, and at the end of the day they're at the mercy of their superiors, who are in turn beholden to and controlled by political forces that they have very little capacity to influence. I'd be more confident that this was the case if there were "wikileaks" style data breaches that emerged from staffers in these agencies that revealed pricelessly what's going on behind the scenes in a fiasco like the one on the Fraser, but given the size of the hammer that would drop on anyone who was caught doing such a thing I suppose it's not surprising that there haven't been any volunteers to take that risk as of yet.

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
I'd be more confident that this was the case if there were "wikileaks" style data breaches that emerged from staffers in these agencies
We need secret video of NOF!

Reactions: JS

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
We need secret video of NOF!
would that help ?
who is there to go to even if you can prove blatant negligence or even criminal activity?
all these agencies are under the thumb of the governor and he seems pretty happy with how they are run.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info