Let's Talk Two-Handed Beach Rods

surfnfish

When you cack cast, is it high up over your head, or is it a low underhand oval, as in the Belgian cast?
had to look at video of what a Begium cast was...would say more V then oval... straigten the line, easy flick back wth slightly dropped shoujlder, lift shoulder a tad and drive the rod forward with bottom hand snap towards my sternum and upper hand push at ear level to the stop..found this works best with light, fast action switch rods...my two fave's Mystic and Guideline..

with that said, compelled to state easily qualify for "do not do this" casting videos...quite sure better casters have watched mework and muttered 'wtf'?..lol

skyrise

I try to emulate this, with varying degrees of success
like the look of what he is doing. my question is what type of running line is he using? i have tried opst mono running lines and though they do shoot nice, i end up with tangles using them.

Gregobr

WFF Supporter
like the look of what he is doing. my question is what type of running line is he using? i have tried opst mono running lines and though they do shoot nice, i end up with tangles using them.
I’m not sure what line he is using. I have best success with integrated lines. I have some Rio OBS, and some Cortland Compact shooting head integrated lines. While tangles are inevitable, a good stripping basket helps minimize them. I gotway more tangles when I used heads and mono shooting line. The mono is too light to stay in my stripping basket and just turns into a mess.

Uncle Stu

I’m not sure what line he is using. I have best success with integrated lines. I have some Rio OBS, and some Cortland Compact shooting head integrated lines. While tangles are inevitable, a good stripping basket helps minimize them. I got way more tangles when I used heads and mono shooting line. The mono is too light to stay in my stripping basket and just turns into a mess.
That right there is the main reason I have always used integrated fly lines. Even though shooting head systems are known for shooting further (when not tangled in your basket). Maybe the the shooting head systems are more suited to the calmer conditions you find when swinging for steelhead (vs. the pounding you take in the surf)?

Last edited:

Bagman

That right there is the main reason I have always used integrated fly lines. Even tough shooting head systems are known for shooting further (when not tangled in your basket). Maybe the the shooting head systems are more suited to the calmer conditions you find when swinging for steelhead (vs. the pounding you take in the surf)?
I took an old Airflo line cut the head off and made a braided loop put it on the running line and added a rio OBS 10wt head going to try it on my Z 7wt SR as soon as the weather clears up a little and I can get some good tides.

surfnfish

also a big fan of Guideline compact shooting heads and running line...wish they were easier to come by

integrated systems are definitely much more of a pleaure to work...have a buddy who swears by his Beulah Opal switch rod matched with a Serum integrated shooting head...he belts it way long distance with that set-up..

whether shooting heads or integrated line, for switch rod OH casting, a quick loading, fast action rod is paramount...the lighter the better..

wetswinger

Wolff Triangle Taper Saltwater lines are integrated and go all the way up to 12 weight. Popular on the East coast but not seen around the Sound. By far the best line I’ve used...

Bagman

Wolff Triangle Taper Saltwater lines are integrated and go all the way up to 12 weight. Popular on the East coast but not seen around the Sound. By far the best line I’ve used...
I have a ambush, line and I did like it I guess I need to look into their lines.

c1eddy

I've been mulling over this TH OH casting for months while my elbow heals up...trying to find information on putting a system together. Really intrigued with your opinion on the Triangle Taper Saltwater line, Wetswinger. In fact I've tried contacting Wulff to understand better the differences in some of their lines; For instance, the saltwater intermediate you like seems to have a freshwater counterpart in the same color. The saltwater line has a 30' head....the freshwater has a 36'-40' head that can be custom cut. Other than head length, are they the same line? They have not replied yet, but it's only been a couple of days.
In searching for more info on TH OH casting, I did find an interesting ramble from Steve Rajeff from a dozen years ago here: http://www.wildoutfitting.com/mci/emailarchive/mlistarchive/msg00952.html

wetswinger

They don’t publish much info. on line such as their line grain weights etc. I called the phone number on their website and talked the customer service person and he was very helpful. Keep trying , it took a couple tries. The saltwater lines are available in larger weights for bigger fishing outfits which is fortunate for switch rods as they need heavier lines than single hand rods. They all use the “triangle taper” design, which is also what Airflo calls the “delta taper” used on their popular Beach and 40+ lines. These are considered smooth, long casting lines. Don’t know about difference in physical properties between fresh and saltwater. I like the 30’ head as it loads the rod without having to get a lot of line out on the back cast and is easier to manage therefore. The tip rolls out nice and turns over the tippet even with a heavy fly on and, good for me, a sloppy cast. I use a short Airflo intermediate polyleader and about 6’ of leader. As I keep preaching, make sure you match your rods rating to the lines in grain weights.

Uncle Stu

For those of us who want to really fine-tune a line to our own rod and our personal style of casting ... I'm intrigued by the custom-cut lines. Echo has one in the Sniper line that comes with a 30' of level T14 sinking head. (490 gr with intermediate running line). The idea is to start casting and cut off the tip one foot at a time until you find your sweet spot. Has anyone tried this?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock