Let's Talk Two-Handed Beach Rods

Bagman

@Uncle Stu my largest Striper was caught on a black bass rod at 36 pounds caught from a boat at Steamboat slough just outside Rio Vista. I would not have enjoyed that fish on a 7wt switch rod.

Bagman

@Bagman that's way bigger than I have ever seen landed on the beach, but it can happen. What rig were you using?
I was not fishing from the beach, I was also not fishing with a fly rod, I was using a sliding sinker with a single 4/0 hook with a cut anchovy. Way up in the sloughs off the Sacramento River. The point I was trying to make was its a different pray then a 10 pound sliver.

wetswinger

I was fortunate enough to be able to salmon fish with Nick Clayton for two seasons, I was never able to out fish him but I was able to learn a lot from a guy that is younger then my youngest. I was fishing a switch rod TH overhead casting it was a 6110-5, I spooled up my reel with a 8wt outbound short, Nick fished a 890-4 with I think the same line, we normally fished very close together stripped about the same speed, while Nick was able to cast a few feet longer then me it did not feel like it was that big of a deal. Nick tyes a great Clouser that has a heavier set of Clouser eyes and more buck tail then I could cast. This would in my mind, sink faster and make more of a disturbance in the water. I had picked up a 7110-4 from a different manufacturer, as a back up but never fished it untel I broke my 6wt. I took out the 7wt with a Coastel quick shooter 9wt line it was a real eye opener. My point is the Stripper online is a great forum, but remember these guys are not fishing for salmon in the sound, I have only been put on the reel 3 times by slivers, and have landed slivers to 10+ pounds, these guys are looking for that 30 pound Striper with waves, wind and a lot of times at night, while casting a fly over 12 inches long. Just don't starting think you need a 14 foot 9wt for slivers. You may be able to cast from Point No Point to Whidbey Island but the fight would not be any fun. For most of the salmon in the sound a 6wt to 7wt 11 for TH rod is really all you need.
I agree. I just like seeing what people elsewhere are doing. These East coast guys have years more beach experience than us and are hardcore. A guy could learn a lot if he paid attention..

grady blk

I hope it works as planned. Give us a report after you try it out.
Tried Thursday evening when I picked up the rod and used my 350gr Serum line and casting it felt light and waited till today to get my Serum 400gr from a friend who borrowed it
The load was better but I will try my V1 Tonic switch 425gr just to get a comparison
Over all I'm very pleased, the rod is so light at hand and a powerful tool, I would have to say its as good as my Opal 5/6, with hopes of it being better once I get the lines dialed in

The real test will be on how it will help in landing fish on my boat

Jack Devlin

I recently purchased an ECHO Beach Boost 12' 6wt two hander for Pyramid Lake. I immediately realized that I needed a 7wt instead. I got one and it is great. I tried the 6wt off the beach for SRC and was really impressed . The 6wt may be the ideal two-handed SRC beach rod. Properly lined, this rod will cast a mile, has plenty of backbone, and is easy on the shoulders. Something to think about. I'd have no problem using it for Salmon as well.

east high

Any of you guys using shooting heads for these DH rods? I need some running line and have a spool of 50lb. Seaguar fouro sitting here and thought it might be worth trying. When surf/beach fishing I've heard you want your line to sink below the turbulence of the surf. Dumb idea or worth a shot?

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Any of you guys using shooting heads for these DH rods? I need some running line and have a spool of 50lb. Seaguar fouro sitting here and thought it might be worth trying. When surf/beach fishing I've heard you want your line to sink below the turbulence of the surf. Dumb idea or worth a shot?
depends...the guys up fishing the sound fish it a little differently than the surf that I fish down here in OR. I like an integrated shooting head on my SH rods. If I ever end up with one of those Echo Boost Beach rods in my quiver, I'd use the same. The downside of a mono (or fluoro) type running line is that when stripping, it's not as fun to strip as a fly line running line (use what you've got though). But yeah, I'm fishing a depth charge, wait a few moments (doesn't take long) until it sinks a little bit, then start stripping...

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I recently purchased an ECHO Beach Boost 12' 6wt two hander for Pyramid Lake. I immediately realized that I needed a 7wt instead. I got one and it is great. I tried the 6wt off the beach for SRC and was really impressed . The 6wt may be the ideal two-handed SRC beach rod. Properly lined, this rod will cast a mile, has plenty of backbone, and is easy on the shoulders. Something to think about. I'd have no problem using it for Salmon as well.
If I go that route, that 7wt is what I'd likely go with for surf perch because of the wind potential. What are your thoughts on the 6wt and it's ability to deal with a fair bit of wind?

wetswinger

I am a fan of a heavier line especially in the wind. If it’s really blowing I’ll even put on a heavier fly and shorten my tippet. Helps a lot...

Gregobr

WFF Supporter
If I go that route, that 7wt is what I'd likely go with for surf perch because of the wind potential. What are your thoughts on the 6wt and it's ability to deal with a fair bit of wind?
I have the Boost Beach in both 7 and 8 wt, and for Oregon Beach fishing I pick up the 8 more often than the 7 just for extra punch in the wind. When social distancing requirements ease, we should do some beach fishing and you can try them both.
Greg

Bake

Wondering which fly line would be the best line for Boost Beach? I've been thinking about the 7wt. Rio OutBound short, both the float & the S3 or 6...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts