Chironomids!!

bowsnbrews

All that nice work go to pinch the barb break hook:(
I wonder how people are pinching their barbs to the point that they actually break the hook. It has literally never happened to me.

I fish barbless 100% of the time and pinch them down on the water. I don't pinch my barbs when tying as I use the barb as a reference point to aid in consistency as I replicate my patterns. Just what I do.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
I wonder how people are pinching their barbs to the point that they actually break the hook. It has literally never happened to me.

I fish barbless 100% of the time and pinch them down on the water. I don't pinch my barbs when tying as I use the barb as a reference point to aid in consistency as I replicate my patterns. Just what I do.
Enough times that I pinch at the vice.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
A book could be written on this subject and systematically address the technical aspects of fishing chironomids in lakes..
Surely one has been?
Is there a definitive book on chironomid fishing that you lake pros would recommend?

troutpocket

Most of the books I have seen that cover chironomid technique and methods are getting dated. Chan & Morris is good but that’s gotta be 20 years old? Rickards books have good information but he’s not an indicator guy. And that @Tim Lockhart guy? Sheesh! ;);):D

There is a ton of good video content that covers patterns, locations, and techniques. Seems like that’s where to look these days.

chiro

I must be a spaz or my hook selection differs from yours or my debarbing tool is wrong or....? I have broken a few hooks over the years
I am just echoing what bowsnbrews said about hooks. Pinching barbs on the boat though, I could never do that. I would forget and sure enough the conservation officer would be doing a check and bingo.

Buzzy

I am just echoing what bowsnbrews said about hooks. Pinching barbs on the boat though, I could never do that. I would forget and sure enough the conservation officer would be doing a check and bingo.
I debarb store bought flies ahead of time - like you I would forget once in the boat. More concerned about hooking myself with a barbed fly than the game warden.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts