Chironomids!!

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Keep in mind there should be 7 segments -
Somewhere in one of the other forums a tier was complaining about crowding the head on his size 20 flies and the discussion was "do the fish care"? I guess I'd never heard about "seven segments" before and in looking in my midge boxes, my ties have an assortment of segments and some with no segments..... reminds me of a day fishing a local lake with a buddy. We whacked 'em on size 16 snow cones with a small silver wire rib. I invited @Engee to join us the next day and told him what to tie. He shows up the next morning with exactly the same fly but without the rib (would that be segments :cool:?). Anyway, we teased him that he was going to get skunked. After anchoring, he found the pod and proceeded to hook fish after freaking fish while the fly shop guy and I had our offerings (the same segmented fly as the day before) refused. We made sure our bobbers were set just like Engee's, and believe me, we crowded his bobber. His kept going down. Mine ignored, fly shop guy's fly ignored.

But I appreciate the lesson in entomology!

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
All killers with nice tapers.

Keep in mind there should be 7 segments - hard to do on the small scud hooks.

The chrome beads are interesting - haven't seen them before.
Thanks for the compliment, I have never bought into the seven segment process (why do they count the segments, but ignore the hook?), and I painted the beads myself.

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
rainbow midges.JPG

Experimenting with white thread bodies and markers. Unimpressed - my artistic skills ain't much. But something has crept into my imagination. Nine or ten years ago three of us portaged into a small BC lake. The portage included dragging two prams and my pontoon boat out of mucky shallow lake, up over a steep hill to our destination. We honestly thought given how tough it was to access that the fishing would be off the charts. It was tough, slow. A Canadian we know showed up and eventually rowed over to show us a throat sample: glass worms or phantom midges (chaoborus I think). This friend made some comment to the effect "when they're on glass, I go home".

I've seen lots of glass worm imitations and have several variations in one of my midge boxes but maybe with just a bit less coloring pen and UV resin I might hit on something. Maybe. Could happen.

The lower right midge (size 18) has a red butt and green body. This fly has been effective on two Greenstone Mountain lakes (without that plummeting blue tungsten bead).

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info