Chironomids!!

Buzzy

P3290026.JPG

Blend of old and new? @MGTom asked about fuzzy versus shiny and I think it was Ira that had a pretty witty comeback. Got me thinking (seem to have time to think lately) about the TDC and a few other midges - back when one fly box was all I had (and only one fly pole). Hiked into Quail Lake one afternoon after work, Started working the northwest corner from shore fishing a TDC on which I had substituted clipped deer hair for the traditional ostrich herl. Had several savage hits but couldn't hook up. Above is a shiny, modern TDC with ostrich herl and below it a fuzzy (pheasant tail ala Jim Teeny) midge with clipped deer hair.

By the time I got smart enough to look at my hook and discover it was broken off at the bend it was too dark to knot on a new fly.

MGTom

Buzzy, I like seeing those two side by side. I've been looking at a lot of images of real critters online and some of trout guts of fish we kept to eat in the past, and I really see why there are so many styles. I'm not running to the store just for hooks now, stupid, but to match ours I need a size 12-14 curved hook like yours. Is that the Daiichi 1760? I'm going to run a small white ostrich tail, it's visible. I need fuzzy to match ours so I think I'll use your pheasant, only black, with copper rib. The thorax is blackish-red transparent so I'll play with some dubbing over a gold bead. Tiny squiggly brown throat, like calftail or finer, and ostrich collar up top.
I've done enough fishing know to know the fish eat these all year long in the reservoir 10 minutes from home. In the southeast end of the reservoir, that holds water all winter, these hatch all day long, especially in summer, but the fish only hit within a couple feet of the bottom or as emerges. Really looking forward to trying those long leaders with a release bobber and some new ties!
Tried to get it but the thorax isn't right. I think I want some of those fancy glass beads blackish/red.
20200329_225635.jpg

Couldn't sleep tonight so here is where I ended up. Using some materials new to me I see how flies evolved to look like the do. I ended using white flash for gills front and back, black flash with silver rib (and a couple turns of non-lead wire pinched to shape for weight), starling for wingcase and brown antron for legs. I finally got the silhouette!
20200330_newchiro.jpg

Last edited:

bakerite

So many great patterns shared in this thread and in other forums within WFF, generous folks. I really enjoy it. And to think we haven't even begun to exhaust the possibilities, eh!

I did think about starting a new thread in the "lakes" forum called something like chironomid emergers. Sat at my vise earlier and tried to tie up something worthwhile to introduce the thread. I can't tie a dry or emerger: ALL THUMBS? So I just added a little grizzly hackle to the bend of the hook to simulate a trailing shuck. And no new thread...............(well, unless switching from Uni-thread to Veevus counts).

View attachment 231974
Almost "summer duck" colors.
I used to do well using a 14 elk hair caddis, tied very sparsely with an polypro trailing shuck. Would fish with a TDC as my dropper. I remember using that rig at Ell and Lenice about 30 years ago. There is a Gary LaFontaine pattern that is very cool that uses little piece of foam and an orange deer hair spike so you can see it.

MGTom

I used to do well using a 14 elk hair caddis, tied very sparsely with an polypro trailing shuck. Would fish with a TDC as my dropper. I remember using that rig at Ell and Lenice about 30 years ago. There is a Gary LaFontaine pattern that is very cool that uses little piece of foam and an orange deer hair spike so you can see it.
My first trip was 1975, and our 7th grade shop class teacher, Mr. Kemper, had us tie TDC's and peacock body Carey specials. We wet waded onto the south side shoal and cast all day in the wind. I was one of the few who got a 13" fish that day and was hooked for life. Before that it was worms and balls-o-fire.

Buzzy

I might add that 1760's are also a good choice if that's whats available in your area.
I'm currently working on filling a box using these hooks...kind of a straight eye version of the 1760.
View attachment 232179
View attachment 232180
As you can see I still have a ways to go. :D
Oh, and no fair counting my number of wraps.:)
According to track my UPS I'm supposed to take possession of some Firehole Sticks in less than 90 minutes. Are you thread blending body colours? Nice!!

troutpocket

I might add that 1760's are also a good choice if that's whats available in your area.
I'm currently working on filling a box using these hooks...kind of a straight eye version of the 1760.
View attachment 232179
View attachment 232180
As you can see I still have a ways to go. :D
Oh, and no fair counting my number of wraps.:)
Very nice! Have you fished them yet?

I have some extended point barbless hooks that get tweaked after a few fish. I keep coming back to Daiichi hooks because they hold up to abuse.

Old406Kid

According to track my UPS I'm supposed to take possession of some Firehole Sticks in less than 90 minutes. Are you thread blending body colours? Nice!!
Yes on the blending with UTC 70.
I will say those hooks are sticky sharp which my fat fingers are finding out as I try to get 3/32" beads on the sz. 18 hooks. :eek:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts