Chironomids!!

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Does anyone have a pattern for "brown bomber" chironomids? I don't know a thing about them, but a friend was telling me yesterday that they are common in early season in Chopaka, Blue, and according to hearsay, some southern BC lakes. They are about 3/4" inch long and some shade of brown. I haven't done enough of this chironomid fishing yet to have encountered them. Apparently I need yet another chironomid fly pattern. So what do they look like?

Ron McNeal

Remember Jimmy The Greek?..........
Did a Google and found this one (the only one) from (predictably) BC:

#6 Rick’s “Brown Bomber”
Hook- Size 12 scud hook
Thread- 8/0 Medium Brown Uni
Body-Thread
Rib-X Small gold wire
Thorax-Peacock dubbing

As with most patterns, many variations can be found among the results of a Google.......

The above differs from most of the photos of the Brown Bomber. Most look something like this example:

Copper-Brown-Bomber-Chironomid.jpeg

Last edited:

Old406Kid

Nice pattern but for some reason the material list doesn't match the pattern, different hook and lack of peacock.:confused:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I call this pattern the Brown Ripper( most takes will almost rip the rod out of your hand). I've never had a banner day on this particular chironomid but the ravage way they annihilate it will bring a smile to your face. I usually don't throw one of these on until I throat sample two consecutive fish.
That looks really good! Mind sharing the pattern?

Big Laker

Gamakatsu C12U (Caddis) size 10 thru 14.
Gills= white Glo Bugs yarn UV+. Bead=matte black 1/8 thru 7/64. Wing pads=Scribbles 3D fabric paint brown/marron. Thread=UTC 70 dark brown or Uni 8/0 camel
Rib=Danville's medium fine wire olive.( Its more gold then olive in my opinion). Butt=Black sharpie. Tail= tiny amount of gill material cut short. Coating= Solarez thin.

Attachments

Creatch'r

Tin Foil Time
I call this pattern the Brown Ripper( most takes will almost rip the rod out of your hand). I've never had a banner day on this particular chironomid but the ravage way they annihilate it will bring a smile to your face. I usually don't throw one of these on until I throat sample two consecutive fish.
I see a similar bug a lot, brown makes the bobber drown.

Reactions: JS

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts