Chironomids!!

onefish

The lakes I fish often times have lots of surface film action. Yesterday was a prime example. My experience with the surface film stuff is they are, for the most part, small with the odd medium sized fish. The big boys seem very reluctant to leave the bottom in the lakes I fish. I would rather catch less bigger fish than more little fish, so I mostly stick to the bottom even when the surface lights up.
I do like the dry fly options posted though.

Phil Fravel

Friendly
I find that mids are really effective early in the season before other hatches get going and again in fall once the main hatches taper off. But I fish them all season nevertheless. The chironomid below a level leech seems to work much of the time. Some of us old guys fish them just to take a break from the rigors of casting and stripping or kicking around looking for fish. When you are on a lake from early morning to last light it is nice to just stop moving for awhile, sling out a bobber and start snacking. But sure as hell-that bobber will go down once you get comfortable...
Sure way to get a bite on a Chronomid is get out your sandwich.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I'm going to place a supply order soon and I wanted some more thread colors. In the past I've used Pearsall's when I wanted a translucent effect. I don't see it any more on fly sites. The Veevus looks like it may be similar, and many patterns also call for uni. Which would be more like silk, and which more like a Danville thread. I'll still get some silk at Joann's. 20200405_110907.jpg

pond monkey

UTC 70 is all you need IMHO....lays flat....

I'm going to place a supply order soon and I wanted some more thread colors. In the past I've used Pearsall's when I wanted a translucent effect. I don't see it any more on fly sites. The Veevus looks like it may be similar, and many patterns also call for uni. Which would be more like silk, and which more like a Danville thread. I'll still get some silk at Joann's. View attachment 233443

racermo

Watch that Backcast
WFF Supporter
If you want silk look at Kimono Silk Thread in the #100 size. I use this alongside my old stock of Pearsall's for soft hackles and flymphs. Haven't thought about using it for 'Mids. Pearsall's quit making their gossamer thread some time ago. I have the Kimono in the 301, 353, 317, 318 , 308, and 380 colors. They come on standard thread spools so I've re-spooled them onto "normal" fly tying spools that fit my bobbins.

jamma

Does anyone have a pattern for "brown bomber" chironomids? I don't know a thing about them, but a friend was telling me yesterday that they are common in early season in Chopaka, Blue, and according to hearsay, some southern BC lakes. They are about 3/4" inch long and some shade of brown. I haven't done enough of this chironomid fishing yet to have encountered them. Apparently I need yet another chironomid fly pattern. So what do they look like?
Check out the Bronzie. Had one spectacular day with that fly.

jamma

This a great pattern but the deer hair gets shredded in no time. My buddies recommends light tan Antron or similar, still floats but much tougher/ longer lasting.

Dave
Thin Skin, Medallion sheeting or a thin strip of foam are good substitutes as well.

Buzzy

Herb Superb (maker of the oh so fine Big Dipper nets) mailed me two packages of MAGNUM Flashabou today. Couldn't resist tying up a .44 Magnum, the world's most powerful chironomid (Sorry Dirty Harry). Size 12 Maruto c40HW with a 1/8" tungsten bead. Going to need Ira's big iracator to float a pair of these.

.44 Magnum.JPG

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts